Law School Discussion

LSAT 163 = IQ 132

Re: LSAT 163 = IQ 132
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2004, 11:51:50 AM »
The point is that the LSAT is learnable...(i know some will disagree...but if its not learnable then why are u practicing?)

So those with access to classes and the ability to take off from work to study are at an advantage.

The problem there is that most things can be improved by not having work obligations.  Someone who doesn't have to work can study more and get a better GPA, can join more interesting organizations, assume leadership roles on campus, study abroad or do resume padding volunteer work.  I do agree with you that being able to afford an LSAT class puts wealthier people at an advantage: I borrowed an old review CD from a friend, I could barely afford to take the LSAT, let alone buy prep materials.  My point is that people will have an unfair advantage no matter what standards are used; I think people should take that into account when they rant against the LSAT.

As to the original topic, I scored a 159 on the LSAT, and I'm in MENSA.

Outraged!!!
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2004, 06:08:02 PM »
EVERY QUESTION ON THE EXAM IS PRE-TESTED TO ENSURE THAT MINORITIES AND WOMEN DO NOT HAVE A STATISTICAL ADVANTAGE.

This thread makes my blood boil -- I suspected that there was racial bias built into the structure of LSAT, but now that I see there are actually studies confirming this I have no doubt that the LSAC is nothing else than a bunch of white supremacist Nazis!!! I am not saying such people deserve to be shot right in their foreheads, but if not that, what am I supposed to say?!

nathanielmark

Re: Outraged!!!
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2004, 06:15:40 PM »
do you believe everything you read on a messageboard?  If so i have a pair of powerbriefs you might be interested in.

EVERY QUESTION ON THE EXAM IS PRE-TESTED TO ENSURE THAT MINORITIES AND WOMEN DO NOT HAVE A STATISTICAL ADVANTAGE.

This thread makes my blood boil -- I suspected that there was racial bias built into the structure of LSAT, but now that I see there are actually studies confirming this I have no doubt that the LSAC is nothing else than a bunch of Nazi white supremacists!!! I am not saying such people deserve to be shot right in their foreheads, but if not that, what am I supposed to say?!

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2004, 06:19:50 PM »
I have no doubt that that is true! These white muthafuckas should learn a good lesson!

zpops

• Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2004, 06:24:20 PM »
Come on nathan!  Don't get sucked in by such obvious flamebait.  Just ignore "her" and she'll go away.  I mean, her name is "blackwoman" and her avatar is a black panther for god's sake!   ;)

nathanielmark

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2004, 06:25:54 PM »

YOu are right of course.  but you must admit the black panther was a nice touch.

Come on nathan!  Don't get sucked in by such obvious flamebait.  Just ignore "her" and she'll go away.  I mean, her name is "blackwoman" and her avatar is a black panther for god's sake!   ;)

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2004, 06:34:16 PM »
zpops, what the "black panther" is supposed to signify? I find this thread troubling! I mean, we all know racism is here to stay with us, but I could have never ever imagined that they would go that far as to make racism and sexism built into the test structure! That is surely troubling!

... Although now that I carefully read the article I see the President of Princeton Review has actually testified on that before the Supreme Court! So, I guess, it's definitely not some kind of rumor; I mean, there has to have to been some kind of serious study on their part to confirm such, so that it would serve as evidence and testimony before the Supreme Court.

zpops

• Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2004, 06:50:07 PM »
zpops, what the "black panther" is supposed to signify?

Against my better judgement (since this is your first post), I'll answer the question.  The black panthers are an black militant activist group, and are classified by the CIA as a hate group like the kkk or neo-nazis.  It would be stereotypical for a member to make remarks like "blackwoman"'s.

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2004, 07:32:30 PM »
Conflict, war and death have never made things better. Please refrain from hate-inducing messages. We should at least still make ourselves believe that reconciliation of the oppressors and the oppressed is yet possible within the actual system established.

Celebrate The Advantage Or Denounce It?
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2004, 02:37:35 AM »
It is our solemn responsibility, as beneficiaries of this regressive diagnostic tool, [...] and refuse to submit to the reflexive self-worship and praise of alma mater.

I see where the article posted by "abmdmdj" is coming from,

http://www.hlrecord.org/news/2002/09/19/Opinion/Artificial.Selection.Lsat.Bias.Affects.Us.All-281888.shtml

I see clearly the point of the white Jay Rosner as well when testifying on the issue ... The people at the top of the system should always be careful not to lose their humanity and individuality. After all, power and authority corrupt those who exercise them as much as those who are compelled to submit to them. Power operates destructively, even on those who have it, reducing their individuality as it renders them stupid and brutal, even when they were originally endowed with the best of talents. One who is constantly striving to force everything into a mechanical order at last becomes a machine himself and loses all human feeling.

By treating others as less than yourself, restricting their growth, you lose all the potential insights and abilities these individuals have, so impoverishing your own life and restricting your own growth. Unfortunately in these days material wealth (a particularly narrow form of "self-interest") has replaced concern for developing the whole person and leading a fulfilling and creative life (a broad self-interest, which places the individual within society, one that recognises that relationships with others shape and develop all individuals). In a hierarchical, class-stratified society everyone loses to some degree, even those at the "top."