Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Worse: lower score on re-take or second cancellation?  (Read 1230 times)

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Worse: lower score on re-take or second cancellation?
« on: December 06, 2004, 11:03:27 AM »
I took the June test but cancelled the score.  In October, I scored 2 points below my target.  I don't think I did much better last Saturday.  I have some worries that I may score lower in December because of the curve, but I'd have to do substantially worse to lower the point average.  Because of that, I'm contemplating cancelling again, but that would probably be frowned upon.  If all the cards fall right though, I could score up to 4 points higher, and I'd write an addendum hoping that they'll take the higher score. 

What should I do?
Fed gov't atty

F650GS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Worse: lower score on re-take or second cancellation?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 11:18:27 AM »
I took the June test but cancelled the score.  In October, I scored 2 points below my target.  I don't think I did much better last Saturday.  I have some worries that I may score lower in December because of the curve, but I'd have to do substantially worse to lower the point average.  Because of that, I'm contemplating cancelling again, but that would probably be frowned upon.  If all the cards fall right though, I could score up to 4 points higher, and I'd write an addendum hoping that they'll take the higher score. 

What should I do?

Just out of my business experience I would say that a second cancellation would be worse.

One cancellation is most likely ignored by the admissions administrators but when you get to two they may say whats wrong with this guy/girl.  If you scored 2 points below your target I would have just kept that score.

I believe I scored probably 10 points below my target on the Dec test just because I had to get up so early to get to the test center and did not really focus like I would have liked until the 3rd - 5th sections which I breezed through and did very well on.

I'm taking it again in Feb.  The law schools I want to go to shouldnt mind.

A.J

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 11:20:28 AM »

What should I do?

Uh, you only need to score one point lower too harm the average and depending on where you are on the curve that can make a substantial marginal difference in your percentile ranking. 

And, 4 points is nothing to write home about.  If the school doesnt take higher scores to begin with, they certainly arent going to make an acception for 4 points.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 11:46:01 AM »
And, 4 points is nothing to write home about.

I agree, but 4 points higher would average out my score to my target at least...
Fed gov't atty

maricutie

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 12:20:35 PM »
I don't think they look at 2 cancelled LSAT scores that badly, but that's from my personal experience. I took the LSAT last Oct, freaked out and had a panic attack on the games section, cancelled, and took the Feb exam. Didn't do as well as I'd been practicing, but good enough so that I can't say I have any regrets. Thought I could do better, took this Oct exam -- but messed up on a games question (the AD vs BC game). Had I kept it my score would have been around the same as my Feb one (having missed around 15 questions), but I didn't want to risk getting a lower one in the chance of a hard scale. You can explain a lower score the first time, but a lower one the second time looks stupid. Turns out I was right, Oct did have a tough scale, so glad I cancelled.

But I didn't even include an LSAT addendum in my apps, and I haven't been blacklisted yet. On the contrary, I've gotten good news from Gtown, Boalt and Stanford.  :)

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 12:25:02 PM »
I don't think they look at 2 cancelled LSAT scores that badly, but that's from my personal experience. I took the LSAT last Oct, freaked out and had a panic attack on the games section, cancelled, and took the Feb exam. Didn't do as well as I'd been practicing, but good enough so that I can't say I have any regrets. Thought I could do better, took this Oct exam -- but messed up on a games question (the AD vs BC game). Had I kept it my score would have been around the same as my Feb one (having missed around 15 questions), but I didn't want to risk getting a lower one in the chance of a hard scale. You can explain a lower score the first time, but a lower one the second time looks stupid. Turns out I was right, Oct did have a tough scale, so glad I cancelled.

But I didn't even include an LSAT addendum in my apps, and I haven't been blacklisted yet. On the contrary, I've gotten good news from Gtown, Boalt and Stanford.  :)

wow, congrats!!!!!!  :o  :-*

A litte part of me is also jealoused as well..... ;D

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 03:47:20 PM »

But I didn't even include an LSAT addendum in my apps, and I haven't been blacklisted yet. On the contrary, I've gotten good news from Gtown, Boalt and Stanford. :)

Unfortunately, I scored a full 10 points lower than you did, so I don't have a good score to fall back on.  I'm not sure if they would be so willing to gloss over a second cancellation. 

Congratulations on your acceptances to all those great schools though, especially Georgetown!
Fed gov't atty

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 03:52:42 PM »
Just out of my business experience I would say that a second cancellation would be worse.

One cancellation is most likely ignored by the admissions administrators but when you get to two they may say whats wrong with this guy/girl. If you scored 2 points below your target I would have just kept that score.

I chose the wrong word by using "target".  What I meant was I scored 2 points below my minimally-acceptable score. 

If I get a lower score on the retake (really my third time for this exam), wouldn't they be more apt to think something was wrong than if I cancelled?
Fed gov't atty

AubZamZam

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 03:54:35 PM »

Unfortunately, I scored a full 10 points lower than you did, so I don't have a good score to fall back on. I'm not sure if they would be so willing to gloss over a second cancellation.

Congratulations on your acceptances to all those great schools though, especially Georgetown!

Someone's got an East Coast bias!  

But to answer your question, I think a cancellation would be better than a lower score.  Most schools say that they don't look negatively on cancellations.  Plus I agree that the 4 points isn't enough to give your app much of a boost - if you were SURE about those 4 points, maybe, but not worth the risk of scoring lower in my opinion.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2004, 04:07:32 PM »
Someone's got an East Coast bias! 

Absolutely!  I was born and raised in California but live on the "right" coast now ;)   You couldn't pay me to move back!
Fed gov't atty