Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can erased resposes be picked up by the Scantron?  (Read 3185 times)

matt1882

• View Profile
Can erased resposes be picked up by the Scantron?
« on: December 06, 2004, 09:42:20 AM »
Paranoid as ever, I'm now worrying that the responses I erased might still be dark enough to be picked up by the Scantron machine. These marks are no darker than erasures are supposed to be, but they still leave, as all erasures do, something of a shadow. Does anyone have any knowledge of how sensitive the Scantron scanner might be to erasures?
3.60/176
Accepted: Harvard (matriculating), GULC, NYU, Temple, Penn
Waitlisted: Columbia

strouse

Re: Can erased resposes be picked up by the Scantron?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 09:49:40 AM »
I had these same paranoias after the test. They are irrational and totally ridiculous.  Your test will be fine, trust me.

HTH

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 09:55:18 AM »
Your fears are real. I have the same fears because my eraser sucked. I did a lot of erasing. And my eraser was very weak. It wasnt doing its job. Im getting it handscored.

matt1882

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 10:00:34 AM »
What is the procedure for requesting it to be scored by hand? I see nothing of this on the website. Also, when the test results are released, is there a scanned copy of a test-taker's answer sheet, or are the test-taker's answers computerized?

Your fears are real. I have the same fears because my eraser sucked. I did a lot of erasing. And my eraser was very weak. It wasnt doing its job. Im getting it handscored.
3.60/176
Accepted: Harvard (matriculating), GULC, NYU, Temple, Penn
Waitlisted: Columbia

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 10:16:44 AM »
What is the procedure for requesting it to be scored by hand? I see nothing of this on the website. Also, when the test results are released, is there a scanned copy of a test-taker's answer sheet, or are the test-taker's answers computerized?

First they dont give you a scanned copy of your scantron. The procedure for requesting handscoring is that you have to request it in writing by fax or mail it in. In the letter you must include:

A) your reason for requesting the handscoring

b)your credit card/debit card number (because it costs 35 dollars) Im kinda pissed about this part

c)your test center and number

d) your signature

e) and your social security number

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 11:28:25 AM »
Back to the OP, the scanner has two parameters controlling this.  The first is the threshold value - if a mark is darker than the threshold - it's scored.  This value varies from machine to machine.  It can be set manually or automatically by a box on the scanform itself.  The next is the difference value - if the scanner sees two marks, it compares their darkness.  If they differ by more than the difference value, it scores the darker, if they don't vary enough, it outputs a multiple mark character.  It is very unlikely an erased mark would be dark enough to be over the threshold AND close enough to the actual mark.  I can't speak for LSAC, but normally when working with a scanner you set the threshold fairly high to handle stray marks, erasures, etc. and then you set the difference  pretty close so you will take the darker mark and not kick out an error.  You're just having normal post-test paranoia.

buster

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 11:30:08 AM »
The Scantron machine also senses fear, so try to relax.  ;)

ErinKG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 02:55:47 PM »
They do have a scanned copy of your scantron on the LSAC website once the scores are released. You can compare your marks to the actual scored responses and see if the eraser problem was an issue. I took the October test and had a terrible eraser experience. When I checked the scantron against the scored responses, everything was fine. You don't need to request handscoring until you verify that there is a problem.

Erin

Matthew_24_24

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sigh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 03:04:50 PM »
I was very worried about that but my october test came out fine. 

As long as you scrubbed it good you'll be okay.

Honest.

Matt