Law School Discussion

Looking for information on Georgia Law

ahoipkem

Looking for information on Georgia Law
« on: December 05, 2004, 07:29:47 PM »
As a Yankee located in the cold north of East Lansing, MI, I may not have the opportunity to take a visit to Georgia to check out the law school and Athens, so I was wondering if those of you in the know would be willing to throw some of your humble opinions out there for me.....I'm interested in details such as reputation in the South, cost of living in Athens, bar scene, is the reputation getting better/worse, ect. My perception is that it is a solid school at a bargain price for in-staters (Also, is it easy to get instate tution for years 2 & 3?) in a typical college town with a great local music scene. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong or to back me up. Basically any information you can help me out with is much appreciated.

Re: Looking for information on Georgia Law
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 09:10:53 AM »
sexy town.. you'll love it if you decide to go..
Great rep in Atlanta although it competes with Emory and pretty decent rep in the south.. Very good state school! 

Athens is a college town, but the music/bar scene is top notch and, of course, the sport lovin is sweet passion.. If I move there for law school I'll probably buy some property too as the cost of living is dirt cheap.. All in all, you cant go wrong with this school unless you are looking for a t14..

later,
D

mfitz

• 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 04:05:35 PM »
To the OP:  UGA is an incredible school.  Tuition is cheap, both in and out of state.  I agree with drowles on the assessment of Athens.  You're very close to Atlanta (45 minutes) and can go there to party on the weekends.

drowles...i broke down and applied to UGA today... :P

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 06:27:15 AM »
Mfitz,

good man.. best of luck.. i think you have a great shot with that gpa of yours.. maybe I'll see you there.. I might get dinged from the remainder of my schools.. Really hoping to get into a DC school, but my gtown *&^% changed to decision recently and i will probably get my rejection letter in the mail today... oh well..

hoping GW may give me some lovin.. if not, I am happy about UGA... It was the first school I applied to because I was sooo excited about it.. Desi would have you believe it sucks because its in a college town.. but, in my opinion, college towns are sweet, sweet, things.. And if you're looking to find a lady (which you're not because you are one).. its a grand place to go too..all in all, even if I get accepted to everywhere else I applied I'll probably still end up at UGA.. Its just a sweet deal, and a sweet place to spend the "best yrs. of your life"..

-D

mfitz

• 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 06:50:33 AM »
And it's cheap.  I'm just hoping they'll overlook the fact that I'm a U of South Carolina grad... :P

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 01:33:48 PM »
I grew up in Athens.  I can tell you anything you want to know about it.  Its a small town but sometimes it feels big because there is so much to do there.  The night life is awesome--although I am a little worried about what its going to be like as a law student (I am going there next year but I haven't lived there since I was 18--six years ago).  I always have tons of fun when I go home to visit my parents, though.  There are plenty of bars suited to non-undergrads.

There used to be hardly any shopping in Athens but now it seems like there is a new place every time I return.  And if its not enough, Atlanta is an hour away.

If you like sports, you will always be entertained--the football stadium fits almost 100,000 people--the entire population of Athens and so you can imagine what its like on gameday.  Plus all the other sports--tennis, swimming, baseball, etc. are great too.  Not so sure about basketball these days, though.

The apartments are so cheap too.  I live in New York right now and I am going to pay one-fifth of the rent I pay now when I move to Athens.

Finally, the law school is really nice, too.  Its in an old (historic) building in North Campus (the beautiful part of campus) plus a newer building with more technology.  Its a one-minute walk from downtown where there is great food and shopping--not to mention all the bars.

I have tons of friends who went to UGA law and I have been there many times--and I highly recommend it.

ahoipkem

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 04:12:51 PM »
sickofnyc- this ones for you....so i'm looking casually for apartments in athens next year online and i'm wondering what areas/neighborhoods are the best for students. Obviously i don't want to be in party central with law school, but i also don't want to be in BFE. I'm about 90% that i'm going to georgia next year, so i know i need to get on it pretty quick. How much are you paying, and whats a reasonable price for a middle level place? If you could give me your email or something so i can ask you other questions, that would be sweet.....

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 11:16:27 AM »
sickofnyc- this ones for you....so i'm looking casually for apartments in athens next year online and i'm wondering what areas/neighborhoods are the best for students. Obviously i don't want to be in party central with law school, but i also don't want to be in BFE. I'm about 90% that i'm going to georgia next year, so i know i need to get on it pretty quick. How much are you paying, and whats a reasonable price for a middle level place? If you could give me your email or something so i can ask you other questions, that would be sweet.....

I have emailed the address on your profile.  Let me know if you don't get it.

lazybum

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 02:23:18 PM »
Went to undergrad at UGA.  I second what everyone else has said about how great Athens is. 

Check out the apartment building above Insomnia (131 E. Broad St.).  It's nine stories and has a ton of one and two bedroom places.  A good number of law students live there.  It's basically across the street from North Campus and the law school.  If you can get an apartment on the fourth floor or higher, you should be solid with not hearing the noise.  I lived there my senior year and it was awesome.  Very affordable and in the middle of everything you could ever need.  I didn't drive at all my senior year except when I went to my parents or to Atlanta.  There are also some conveniently located apartments called River Mill if that doesn't work out.

Good luck!

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 02:29:40 PM »
sickofnyc - you're the same age as me, so I'm wondering how you feel about going back to a college town.  I went to school at UF, and I absolutely loved it, but I can't imagine going back there now.  In fact I'm not even applying.  How do you feel about going back at 24/25 to Athens?  Is there enough diversity (in night/social life) to keep your attention?  I mean I'm sure I'll go back and do a little undergrad style partying, but I'd like to think there are some other options as well...