Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Withdrawing  (Read 1417 times)

Michiganhopeful

• View Profile
Withdrawing
« on: December 05, 2004, 09:06:05 AM »
Does anyone know how to go about doing this?  Do I send an e-mail? Call them? Write a letter? Mich says I need to withdraw from my schools sometime within the coming month, and i'm eager to do so.......

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Withdrawing
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 10:07:57 AM »
I'd call, with a follow-up email or letter. 
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

the REAL desi

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 12:54:15 PM »
email is fine (did you get in ED somewhere else?)

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 02:48:02 AM »
he got in ED to michigan.  that's why michigan is telling him to withdraw.

i'd send an e-mail or call, and then follow up with a letter.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

critic

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 12:36:36 PM »
michigan- congratulations on getting in to your (i'm assuming from you name) dream school!

you give me hope for getting into columbia!

Tortman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 04:35:32 PM »
Does withdrawing do anything for you?  Or does it just let other schools know that you're fabulous and they need to keep their hands off?

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 04:57:24 PM »
I just want to say thank you for taking yourself out of the applicant pool to the other schools now that you know where you are going.  I think some people just want to see if they can get in places and don't consider that they are actually taking someone else's spot by not telling the school that they will not be coming.   
Attending: Texas

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 05:10:46 PM »
I just want to say thank you for taking yourself out of the applicant pool to the other schools now that you know where you are going.  I think some people just want to see if they can get in places and don't consider that they are actually taking someone else's spot by not telling the school that they will not be coming.   

not to say that the OP isn't a fabulous person, but he applied ED it seems, since michigan says he NEEDS to withdraw apps in the next month.  difference between that and withdrawing for the sake of other applicants.  granted, the OP applied ED, which means he loves michigan.  so if he had gotten in under regular admission, he may well have withdrawn other apps anyway, knowing he'd go to michigan.

Does withdrawing do anything for you? Or does it just let other schools know that you're fabulous and they need to keep their hands off?

it doesn't do anything for you; it might do something for other applicants, because schools might be able to give what would have been your spot to someone else.  if you apply early decision and get accepted, that school requires that you withdraw all your other apps, since you're required to go there.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2004, 02:17:28 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't quite a few schools (at least the one's I applied to ED) have non-binding early decision?
Attending: Texas

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 03:07:06 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't quite a few schools (at least the one's I applied to ED) have non-binding early decision?

most schools call it "early action" if it's non-binding and "early decision" if it is binding.  all the schools i applied to used that terminology, though i do remember hearing that some schools (including some of the ones you applied to?) don't have the same distinction between the terms.