Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: immigration law  (Read 1047 times)

jgruber

Re: immigration law
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2004, 03:14:33 PM »
Asians in Tennessee are still few and far between.  Most of the Asians I see are doctors from India and Pakistan, some engineers and such from Japan and a handful of others.

Keep in mind I'm a rural area and don't get to the big city that often.

There aren't many Asians in the South.  Louisiana I could understand, they seem to be getting pretty liberal (they almost elected a Indian governor, although he was a Republican).  But they are mostly a democrat state.  Alabama is still the deep south.  It's beautiful though, and I was never treated badly.  I think I got more racist attitudes here living in California, ironically from Mexicans.

jgruber

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2004, 03:15:16 PM »
I thought a fair number of Vietnamese ended up in Louisiana.

Those Mexicans must be new.  I used to live in Alabama from 1987-1992, and would occasionally visit Tennessee and would not see a single Mexican.  I am Asian, and I'd actually see more Asians than Mexicans

Forgive my ignorance, but I didn't know there were a number of Asians in the South.  I know there was/is a significant number of Filipinos in Louisiana, but that's about it. 

thechoson

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2004, 03:18:56 PM »
I thought a fair number of Vietnamese ended up in Louisiana.

Those Mexicans must be new.  I used to live in Alabama from 1987-1992, and would occasionally visit Tennessee and would not see a single Mexican.  I am Asian, and I'd actually see more Asians than Mexicans

Forgive my ignorance, but I didn't know there were a number of Asians in the South.  I know there was/is a significant number of Filipinos in Louisiana, but that's about it. 

Wouldn't be surprised, there are a lot of them in Texas, mostly Houston.  It is interesting how ethnic communities congregate in certain cities.  Like Los Angeles has a lot of Koreans, and Minneapolis actually has a load of Hmong.

thechoson

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2004, 03:29:39 PM »
I've been in this area for about 14 years.  My perception is that it is more recent.  Let's say it became more noticable in the last six years.  Before that you'd only see Mexicans running restaurants.  Now you see them doing landscaping, construction and more.

There are a number of Mexican grocery stores and store front churches these days.  A number of the older churches offer services in Spanish, including mine, the one and only Catholic Church in town.

Please excuse my ignorance, but are there many Catholics in Tennessee?  Especially in rural areas?

jgruber

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2004, 03:38:45 PM »
Not all that many, but enough.  :)

My town (pop.  19,000) has one Catholic Church.

Each of the towns of about the same size in the area each has one each, also.

I don't have the numbers, but we are a minority in the area.

Baptist, Church of Christ and Methodists are predominate.

The irony is that until a few weeks ago, I was a WASP.  I converted to Catholicism this year and was confirmed last Saturday.  I grew up in the northeast where Catholics were as thick as flies and convert when I move to the south.   :D