Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: immigration law  (Read 1018 times)

neita

• View Profile
    • Email
immigration law
« on: April 16, 2004, 10:33:55 AM »
What do you all think about the future of immigration law... especially say, south central Texas way? Anyone specializing in IL? If so,what do you plan to do with it? Thanks

jgruber

Re: immigration law
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 10:34:52 AM »
I'm in Tennessee and I see a future in immigration law here.  We have a ton o' Mexicans round here.

neita

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 12:09:27 PM »
 :o Oh, my! Well, thanks for the reply!!
I'm in Tennessee and I see a future in immigration law here.  We have a ton o' Mexicans round here.
Could someone fill me in a little about it? Mostly Civil or what? (Admittedly, i'm a newbie)

thechoson

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 02:27:12 PM »
Those Mexicans must be new.  I used to live in Alabama from 1987-1992, and would occasionally visit Tennessee and would not see a single Mexican.  I am Asian, and I'd actually see more Asians than Mexicans

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 02:31:37 PM »
I've been in this area for about 14 years.  My perception is that it is more recent.  Let's say it became more noticable in the last six years.  Before that you'd only see Mexicans running restaurants.  Now you see them doing landscaping, construction and more.

There are a number of Mexican grocery stores and store front churches these days.  A number of the older churches offer services in Spanish, including mine, the one and only Catholic Church in town.

thechoson

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2004, 02:33:08 PM »
Wow, that's really cool, I guess.  Didn't Nashville have a big model of the Parthenon (or whatever that ancient Greek Temple was)?  I remember visiting it

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2004, 02:48:50 PM »
Those Mexicans must be new.  I used to live in Alabama from 1987-1992, and would occasionally visit Tennessee and would not see a single Mexican.  I am Asian, and I'd actually see more Asians than Mexicans

Forgive my ignorance, but I didn't know there were a number of Asians in the South.  I know there was/is a significant number of Filipinos in Louisiana, but that's about it. 
I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

thechoson

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2004, 02:52:23 PM »
There aren't many Asians in the South.  Louisiana I could understand, they seem to be getting pretty liberal (they almost elected a Indian governor, although he was a Republican).  But they are mostly a democrat state.  Alabama is still the deep south.  It's beautiful though, and I was never treated badly.  I think I got more racist attitudes here living in California, ironically from Mexicans.

jgruber

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2004, 03:10:20 PM »
Yeah, they have the Parntenon.  It's a full size copy, I think.  It goes with their nickname, the Athens of the South.  It was built for the state's centenial in 1892 or their abouts out of wood and somewhere along the way they changed it to concrete.   

They now have an art museum in the basement.

Wow, that's really cool, I guess.  Didn't Nashville have a big model of the Parthenon (or whatever that ancient Greek Temple was)?  I remember visiting it

thechoson

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2004, 03:14:01 PM »
Yea, I really had a good time in Alabama and getting to visit all the nearby areas.  It's a really beautiful part of the country and totally different than California.  It would have been nice to go to Vandy, but my numbers wouldn't cut it.