Law School Discussion

What do law students do to earn money once their in school?

TLFKARG

Re: What do law students do to earn money once their in school?
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2004, 09:38:11 PM »
Everyone,

a friend of mine said some law schools require full time students to work at most 10 hours a week! Eek!

does anyone know wah law students usually do or are allowed to do in order earn money?
other than loans..

best,
claudia

Actually, i think loans are it. There's no other practicable way to finance law school. Everything i've read says law school is a full time job. Check out the other board to see how jeffjoe likes working and going to LS part time. It's a b*tch apparently.

Oh, just thought of one other method of finance - live off your spouse's income! I plan to do that during 3L of law school when our stock money runs out!
If you are married, you have to report the household income, which includes that of your spouse. Do you really want to explain to the Bar why you cheated to get more financial aid?

TLFKARG

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2004, 09:40:46 PM »
i have a car payment  :'(

i guess i'll have to start saving until i go fall 06

My financial aid promisory note actually states that I am not allowed to use my loans for commercial debt, including car payments.  No one has ever asked me how I spend my loan money, but I think they could probably follow the paper trail pretty easily if they wanted to investigate someone.

Casper

• Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2004, 10:02:08 PM »
Are you allowed to invest those loans on bonds earning a higher interst rate? 

TLFKARG

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2004, 10:31:36 PM »
Are you allowed to invest those loans on bonds earning a higher interst rate? 
What doesn't go to tuition is supposed to be spent on the bare minimal living expenses.  My guess is no.

TLFKARG

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2004, 02:25:47 PM »
i have a car payment  :'(

i guess i'll have to start saving until i go fall 06

My financial aid promisory note actually states that I am not allowed to use my loans for commercial debt, including car payments. No one has ever asked me how I spend my loan money, but I think they could probably follow the paper trail pretty easily if they wanted to investigate someone.

yes, but I didn't say I was going to use loans....I am going to save up...as much as I can

or sell it

I have UG loans now that I keep in a savings account because they are excess since I work full time...I might use them to study abroad because otherwise I'd never be able to afford it and it's ok by my school

Sorry, I misunderstood.  I actually bought my car in cash right before school started and my budget is a lot easier to deal with because I don't have to worry about a high car payment.  All I pay for is insurance, which in my case is quite low, and gas, which, unfortunately is quite high.

jas9999

• Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2004, 04:47:35 PM »
what ats said is simply not true.

after your first year, you can work as much as you want. but during your first year, you are prohibited from working more than 20 hours a week by ABA rules. when you enter law school, you have to sign a paper agreeing to this condition. if they find out you've lied, you'd be in deep doo-doo.

getting a paying legal job after your 1L year is very tough (if you don't go to a top ten school, it's almost impossible; i was looking at a firm in boise, idaho, where they had first year summer associates last year from harvard. in boise!). do your budget assuming you will be volunteering that summer, or plan on volunteering part time and get a paying job at starbucks, the gap, whatever.

after your second year, if you can get an associate position with a biglaw firm, the pay is over $2000 per WEEK for a 10 week summer. if the first year associates make $125k, the summer associates make $2400/week. sweet gig if you can get it...

dustoffdax

• Life is Bueno!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2004, 01:13:25 PM »
I plan on working for a phone sex company. You stay at home and study and wait for them to transfer a call. Talk for a few minutes, 15 at the most and go back to studying. Minimal work, the pay isn't bad 2-300 a week.

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2004, 10:35:36 AM »
ABA says 20 hours max but very few law schools actually track this. 

I seriously wonder if working at Starbucks is worth it...I hear you get full-time benefits for working part-time, so I wonder if that would outweigh paying for school health insurance.

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2004, 10:36:56 PM »
Be very certain you want to give up your reading/study time. I do some consulting work...at most, 8-10 hours in any given week. The pay is enough to make it worth it to me. I wouldn't do it for Starbuck wages; I'd much rather just get the school insurance.

the REAL desi

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2004, 10:18:41 PM »
I plan on working for a phone sex company. You stay at home and study and wait for them to transfer a call. Talk for a few minutes, 15 at the most and go back to studying. Minimal work, the pay isn't bad 2-300 a week.

gay or straight?