Law School Discussion

What do law students do to earn money once their in school?

What do law students do to earn money once their in school?
« on: December 04, 2004, 08:56:34 PM »
Everyone,

a friend of mine said some law schools require full time students to work at most 10 hours a week! Eek!

does anyone know wah law students usually do or are allowed to do in order earn money?
other than loans..

best,
claudia

BigTex

Re: What do law students do to earn money once their in school?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 09:08:47 PM »
Everyone,

a friend of mine said some law schools require full time students to work at most 10 hours a week! Eek!

does anyone know wah law students usually do or are allowed to do in order earn money?
other than loans..

best,
claudia

Actually, i think loans are it. There's no other practicable way to finance law school. Everything i've read says law school is a full time job. Check out the other board to see how jeffjoe likes working and going to LS part time. It's a b*tch apparently.

Oh, just thought of one other method of finance - live off your spouse's income! I plan to do that during 3L of law school when our stock money runs out!

bhvexille

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 09:09:47 PM »
LSAT prep for the princeton review

A.J

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 09:11:33 PM »
Pimpin

HTH

;D

Javert

• Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 09:24:47 PM »
Loans. You'll be able to pay it back.

bhvexille

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 09:26:21 PM »
Depending on where you go to law school, and what kind of law you practice. :P

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 10:11:11 PM »
Like BigTex, I'll be living off my spouse's income. I've always wanted to have a sugar daddy... ;)

I don't think that there are many jobs that a law student could have during term-time that would justify the time taken away from schoolwork, especially during 1L. Grades are just way too important.

I don't plan on working at all during the school year, even though I could make significant money consulting part time (I'm a consultant now). I just don't want the distraction. (I would do this even if I didn't have my husband's salary to fall back on.) Better to live frugally on the loan money and nail that first year. Ramen, ramen, ramen.

From what I understand, there is the opportunity to make significant money over the summer if one lands a summer associate position at a large firm - but of course, you'll need the grades if you want to be considered for those positions.

the REAL desi

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2004, 10:39:20 PM »
Everyone,

other than loans..

best,
claudia

please verify this information.  the general rule ACROSS the board is that you should NOT work during your 1st year at all.  no school can require their students to work (or can they?)

Javert

• Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2004, 10:40:00 PM »
Desi-- You're misreading. He said 'AT MOST ten hours'.

the REAL desi

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2004, 10:41:33 PM »
oh my bad.  ok if you want to work, you can find a meaningless job at the university your first year (like at the gym or even in the law school answering phone calls).