Law School Discussion

Anybody have testing irregularities? I did and i'm complaining

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Free at last!
    • View Profile
Anybody have testing irregularities? I did and i'm complaining
« on: December 04, 2004, 06:58:52 PM »
Well, With 10 minutes to go in the section, the Procter goes 5 minutes left. So everybody is looking around like.. Huh? But get this. None of the other proctors go over to correct him of his mistake until four minutes later. This was on that killer LR section. So I am pissed and I am filing a complaint.

10 minutes is an eternity and worth a few percentile points. When he called 5 minutes, I instantly started to bubble in the remainder of the answers thinking that it was my clock that was wrong. But it was really his. Since the proctor's time judgment overrules everybody else’s in the room I really believed him when he said it was 5 minutes left. So five minutes after he made this mistaken announcement, he finally made the correction,
and said: sorry, now you have five minutes remaining. 

So this was the worst scenario because I did not know whether to continue towards the end or return back to the questions that I skipped. So this mistake screwed me up and I am complaining to LSAC. I paid $118 for this test. At the least, they should get the time right. I have 9 days to file.

Matthew_24_24

• Sigh
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anybody have testing irregularities? I did and i'm complaining
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 07:00:18 PM »
Why didnt you say something?  Ugh group complacency at times like that is horrid.

A quick "you mean 10" would have fixed it.

Or did you not have a stopwatch set up?

Matt

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 07:04:11 PM »
Where was your test? NYC? Cause ours was messed up also and I am going to complain...I think there should be some basic reading skills required for the job.

AmbitV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 07:05:09 PM »
mine called warning UNDER 5 min ("oops you only have 2.5 min")....which i guess is not as bad because if you have a timer you don't need a warning from the proctors....

ryanjm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 07:16:02 PM »
I had faith in my timing equipment over the proctor. If you noticed everyone looking around like "huh?" then you should have been able to realize that it was a mistake. Or someone should have said something. That said, you do have _some_ basis for a complaint.

• Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 07:19:29 PM »
Why didnt you say something?  Ugh group complacency at times like that is horrid.

A quick "you mean 10" would have fixed it.

Or did you not have a stopwatch set up?

Matt

Yeah I know what you are saying about group complacency.

But everybody did say something. We all said .. Huh? And then a few people said no, there is 10 minutes left, there is ten minutes left! But he just looked at them and didnt say anything. Kind of weird right?

And we all knew that the proctor gets the last word on time.

• Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 07:43:26 PM »
Where was your test? NYC? Cause ours was messed up also and I am going to complain...I think there should be some basic reading skills required for the job.

It was close to NYC. It was in NJ, Rutgers Law School in  Newark. How many minutes did they take away from you?

Jaie

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2004, 10:33:06 PM »
AmbitV,

My proctor did the same thing.  Were you at Swarthmore?

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2004, 10:35:24 PM »
why do you pay attention to the procter anyway...just bring a stop watch.

the only time I payed attention to mine was when he said stop and start

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2004, 10:37:11 PM »
i got shortchanged 1 minute on the 1st(and hardest) lr section.  im pissed but really theres nothing i can do.  im not going to bother with lsac because the best they can do is to put an asterik by my score or offer to pay for a retake which there is no way in hell im doing.