Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Have you guys seen UCLA's numbers on lawschoolnumbers.com???  (Read 3659 times)

kevinc

• GPA: 3.69, LSAT:165
    • View Profile
Have you guys seen UCLA's numbers on lawschoolnumbers.com???
« on: April 16, 2004, 06:44:47 AM »
Dood, you guys need to check out some of the people who were recently waitlisted at UCLA

poopy    169   3.42   X   7   Waitlisted   01/13/04   02/10/04   04/07/04
  Christine03    177   3.46   X   3   Waitlisted      12/12/03   04/15/04
  sophie13    169   3.55   X   2   Waitlisted         
  Casedork    168   3.55   X   6   Waitlisted   01/26/04   02/25/04   04/09/04
  wintergirl    161   4.13   X      Waitlisted         
  preppykc    165   3.69   X   2   Waitlisted         04/15/04
  asriyal    166   3.66   X   1   Waitlisted   12/04/03   03/04/04   04/05/04
  daniel    163   3.85   X      Waitlisted         
  tiyo    170   3.10   X   1   Waitlisted         
  bigswingface    171   3.55   X   3   Waitlisted   

what the hell??? those numbers are pretty good...i hate UCLA. i have to admit tho that much of my hate stems from being waitlisted too. hahaha

GMULAW

• View Profile
Re: Have you guys seen UCLA's numbers on lawschoolnumbers.com???
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 08:57:18 AM »
What UCLA is doing is denying people or waitlisiting them to be nice that probably will not go to UCLA anyways (or at least by their calculations). They are doing this to increase the number of students they admit that actually come to the school. I think overall this is a good practice, b/c it save real admits the pains of a waitlist, but it sucks for those with really high scorese that actually want to go there. My advice is if you are one of those who has really good scores, but got waitlisted in to write them a letter about how much you love UCLA and how if accepted you will definetly go there.

Good Luck!

p.s. TO ALL: As a first year just about to start finals and wasting lots of study time on this board, all you pre-laws need to find out your fall classes and go buy some study aids (there are tons) and know the black letter law before you get to class.
I will choose a path that's free, I will choose free will

Meltdown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 07:15:23 PM »
What UCLA is doing is denying people or waitlisiting them to be nice that probably will not go to UCLA anyways (or at least by their calculations). They are doing this to increase the number of students they admit that actually come to the school.

Sorry to be contrary, but I disagree.  :)

3.66/166 (for example) seem like the numbers of person who might easily choose UCLA. I think UCLA is solid enough that they can draw people with that range of number (and do so frequently). Either UCLA is having a very nice year (which would make sense because of how many applicants there are now) or those people had flaws we cannot see.

I can't imagine UCLA would pass up the opportunity to take peple who are numbers qualified (but not insanely great 180/4.0 people) just because they think they'll go elsewhere. What about people who live in Los Angeles and want to stay there?

asriyal

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 08:22:33 PM »
So I'm the girl whose numbers you just quoted, and I really am kind of bitter.  UCLA was my first choice.  I got accepted to Michigan, Northwestern, Georgetown, etc. when all I really wanted to do was stay in LA.  (I got into USC, but I just really don't like the law school there.)  I would go to UCLA anyways, I would love to go to UCLA anyways, I would trade all my other acceptances to go to UCLA anyways.

I hope I don't have any less apparent flaws, I'm assuming they're not too bad if I got into the other schools - I'm wondering if it's because I went to a UC (Cal) or if they have too many people from my major or what.  But UC's have a reputation for being somewhat arbitrary.  I'll be moving to Chicago in a few months to attend Northwestern.  Dammit.

blizzard of ozz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.66/163
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 09:37:54 PM »
Dood, you guys need to check out some of the people who were recently waitlisted at UCLA

poopy    169   3.42   X   7   Waitlisted   01/13/04   02/10/04   04/07/04
  Christine03    177   3.46   X   3   Waitlisted      12/12/03   04/15/04
  sophie13    169   3.55   X   2   Waitlisted         
  Casedork    168   3.55   X   6   Waitlisted   01/26/04   02/25/04   04/09/04
  wintergirl    161   4.13   X      Waitlisted         
  preppykc    165   3.69   X   2   Waitlisted         04/15/04
  asriyal    166   3.66   X   1   Waitlisted   12/04/03   03/04/04   04/05/04
  daniel    163   3.85   X      Waitlisted         
  tiyo    170   3.10   X   1   Waitlisted         
  bigswingface    171   3.55   X   3   Waitlisted   

what the hell??? those numbers are pretty good...i hate UCLA. i have to admit tho that much of my hate stems from being waitlisted too. hahaha

UCLA is the most GPA-heavy school in the first tier. It's 50% or more GPA. The numbers aren't too surprising in light of that. Out-of-state admissions to UC's are a definite crapshoot, regardless though.

UC's evaluate UG grade inflation too in several tiers. Yale and Yeshiva are the 2 most grade-inflated UG's (their average GPA hovers around 3.4 or more) so they subtract points from their GPA (see Montauk's How to Get into LS) whereas several private schools actually ADD points to their GPA based on "UG Prestige". So many of the folks that have inflated GPA's get taken down a peg by the UC's. God, I love the way the UC admissions system has the guts to stand up against grade inflation.

skotval

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 02:32:59 AM »
asriyal!  I am in exactly the same situation as you... UCLA was my first choice even though I got into better ranked schools like Northwestern and Georgetown because I really wanted to go back to UCLA (I went there for undergrad).  I just found out I got waitlisted there on Friday.  Right after my tour of the law school :P.  I still haven't heard back from USC but I didn't like it as much as I thought I would.  Looks like I am most likely going to Northwestern in the fall too.... BTW... I'm a 3.44/175 (since I know someone will ask!)

kevinc

• GPA: 3.69, LSAT:165
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 06:35:43 AM »
i'm hella bummed too. ucla was my first choice...well, it looks like i'm gonna have to go to usc, even tho it's mother freakin' expensive. it's a small price to pay, i guess, to live in los angeles again. my other option is boston college, but i don't think it's worth it to go to that school if i wanna eventually work in LA after i graduate. plus boston sucks, whereas LA rules!  :)

i'm also waitlisted at UPENN, Gtown, Cornell, Berkeley, but I HIGHLY doubt i'll get into any of those schools off the waitlist.

Speedracer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 01:53:29 PM »
Hey Guys,

Man I got into UCLA and I cant complain, but I rather go to Gtown or Northwestern because Im  east coast kinda guy.  Also I kinda like cold weather sometimes.
Anyone wanna trade?
By the way my numbers were 3.8 166

asriyal

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 04:41:31 PM »
heck yes, speedracer.  i wonder if anyone ever actually tries to do that if they have two willing parties  :D

Meltdown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 08:14:51 PM »
So I'm the girl whose numbers you just quoted, and I really am kind of bitter.  UCLA was my first choice.  I got accepted to Michigan, Northwestern, Georgetown, etc. when all I really wanted to do was stay in LA.  (I got into USC, but I just really don't like the law school there.)  I would go to UCLA anyways, I would love to go to UCLA anyways, I would trade all my other acceptances to go to UCLA anyways.

I hope I don't have any less apparent flaws, I'm assuming they're not too bad if I got into the other schools - I'm wondering if it's because I went to a UC (Cal) or if they have too many people from my major or what.  But UC's have a reputation for being somewhat arbitrary.  I'll be moving to Chicago in a few months to attend Northwestern.  Dammit.

Damn, I'm like psychic!

Seriously, I'm sorry to hear that. I wish for your sake that UCLA had not been your top choice. Just a question, but did you make it apparent to them in some way that UCLA was #1 for you? Not that that would have changed anything, but I wonder what effect that does have on applications, if any.

Congrats on the other acceptances, though. At least your "fallbacks" are top-notch.

Blizz--nice comment about GPA weighting at UCLA. I heard UC Berkeley gave it even more weight. Any info on that?