Law School Discussion

Asian Chat: Brought to you by the pasty Phanatic

strouse

Re: Asian Chat: Brought to you by the pasty Phanatic
« Reply #150 on: December 08, 2004, 07:29:26 AM »
Ah, I can see why you are interested.  What are your thoughts on American Expats exploiting the asian markets?  Are they discriminated against in Japan, or looked well upon?  Is it fair they are siphoning money from the economy? 

I'm not sure what my next avatar will be, this one may be around a couple of days  :)

geezer

• More oysters than you can shake a stick at!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: December 08, 2004, 07:40:49 AM »
Phanatic,

Tough question.  First, I'm very removed from the expat culture, as I do not live in a major metro area.  I don't know anything about the traders.  However, I can say that on a macro-level, it's the opposite.  Japan is a one-way street in terms of trade and many other things.  Just about 40% (I'm being conservative here) of what you see in U.S. stores is Japan made- or Japanese controlled.  Just about nothing here is via the U.S.

With that in mind, I'm not sorry to see a few U.S. traders 'making bank' here in Japan  ;) if that's really the case....

Geez

geezer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2004, 07:46:00 AM »
I forgot to answer the other part of your question.  No matter how long a foreigner has lived here/no matter how good their Japanese is...a 'gaijin' is just a 'gaijin'...and not Japanese.

When I tried to hail a taxi to get to the test center on Sunday morning, no less than six empty taxis drove by...until one kind soul stopped to pick me up...

Remind the Japanese tourists of this (next time you run into some).

Geez

strouse

« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2004, 08:57:03 AM »
I forgot to answer the other part of your question.  No matter how long a foreigner has lived here/no matter how good their Japanese is...a 'gaijin' is just a 'gaijin'...and not Japanese.

When I tried to hail a taxi to get to the test center on Sunday morning, no less than six empty taxis drove by...until one kind soul stopped to pick me up...

Remind the Japanese tourists of this (next time you run into some).

Geez

I will be sure to...if I were you, I would find out where Cracka Jap is at, she sounds like she would be fun to hang out with.

strouse

« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2004, 11:19:49 AM »
Phanatic=Married

I was attempting to live vicariously through you.  ;)

geezer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2004, 11:42:08 PM »
Married with kids here.

Looks like you need John Malkovich!

JohnMalkovichJohnMalkovichJoh nMalkovich

debstar

« Reply #156 on: December 09, 2004, 12:07:31 AM »
I wonder why there are so many married men but not that many married women.

geezer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: December 09, 2004, 01:15:50 AM »
Hi Debstar,

Not sure what you mean- on this message board?

Maybe because we like to make commitments?....naw....

japan

• my best friend is my headphones.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 09, 2004, 05:14:39 PM »
Goodmorning Yall!  Its 9:10am FRRRRIIIIIIDAY!!!  Looking forward to another bright day of nasty school lunch full fish sh#t, tree bark, and something that WANTS to smell like bologne...anyways  GEEZ youve been here 10 years?  10 years? What they gotchu in for man?! j/k but Ok, let me ask you something...do you sort your trash?  I dont...Im such a rebel...but I gotta get back at em somehow...serious business..its all going in one bag that says burnable.....

japan

• my best friend is my headphones.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 09, 2004, 05:23:04 PM »
one thing though...about what geez said about most goods not coming via america...true, true...except pop culture gear...for example....there are kids rocking sean jean, fubu, etc etc..EVERYWHERE...these kids TRY so hard to mimic American kids...the music, clothes, style EVERYTHING...go into any club...youll see kids rockin...what...Doo-rags?  C`mon now Hiroki..whats up with the doo-rag?  This one Japanese boy even had the nerve to tell me...everybody take a seat...Japanese kids invented JAZZ...