Law School Discussion

Asian Chat: Brought to you by the pasty Phanatic

strouse

Re: LSAT Asian Conspiracy
« Reply #140 on: December 07, 2004, 08:08:49 PM »
yeah, but im not sure i follow you...gaijin is anybody whose not japanese...usually, i mean, and its really obviously...walking through any ginza (shopping area)...the biggest traders over here are nigerians selling hip hop gear or iranian girls with their jewelry...

Yeah, I mean traders as in Futures, derivatives, financial instruments.  By Market I mean the Tokyo Stock exchange.  Do these americans stick out over there?  The ones who trade I mean.  Sorry if I am boring you with this, just curious.

japan

• my best friend is my headphones.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 07, 2004, 08:21:33 PM »
Not boring me!  I went to the Tokyo Stock Exchange after the test on sunday...i just wanted to check it out ya know...but see i guess im a little blind as to what you are talking about...see cuz over here its like gaijin are all in the same boat...you stick out like a sore thumb no matter what your occupation is...stock broker or bus boy.  the bottom line is you are not one of THEM.  Its crazy for me being here becuz i look the part and speak both languages...but i am an american...so the Japanese people assume i am japanese, talk bad about americans and foreigners while i am around...and then the americans are the same way..on the train they assume i am a japanese and cant understand english...so they have at times said things about ME assuming that i dont know whats going on...my bad, sorry to get off track...basically just know that if you are gaijin you stick out hardcore in japan..no matter what.

strouse

« Reply #142 on: December 07, 2004, 08:25:26 PM »
That's what I heard. Gaijin can't even go into some clubs and stuff, right?  On the other hand, I have heard of Americans going over there and raking in massive amounts of $$ because of the volatility and lack of regulation in their securities markets.  The other thing I heard is that the Yakuza are involved in almost everything, including the economy.  Sounds like a pretty crazy place for an American.  Were there lots of Americans trading at the stock exchange?

japan

• my best friend is my headphones.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 07, 2004, 08:41:52 PM »
I was there on a sunday,  so no...its so true though...they dont let foreigners in alot of the clubs, restaurants...etc...yakuza run things thats very true...you should come here..go to Ropponggi...

strouse

« Reply #144 on: December 07, 2004, 08:47:41 PM »
If I ever get there, I'll let you know  ;)  Good luck, it seems to me you are at an advantage, seeing as how you can fit into both crowds.  Welcom to LSD, I am going to change the name of this thread to Asian Chat (I am not kidding  :D)

I am out for the night.

debstar

« Reply #145 on: December 07, 2004, 09:42:55 PM »
something else off topic though...you might find this book interesting about making money in japan...its called The Tokyo Underworld....the fast life and hard times of an american gangster in japan...its a true story bout this guy from harlem who became a mafia boss in Tokyo...its HOT! 

That sounds a lot like Lucy Liu's character in "Kill Bill". Wonder if it's based on that book.

the REAL desi

« Reply #146 on: December 07, 2004, 10:17:13 PM »
What's that supposed to mean Desi!!! Are you trying to say we are all argumentative, huh?  Tell me, what's your problem     :D ;)

the number of d-bags in law school is amazingly high.  btw you all will love law school.  final exams are awesome.

my bad...im just a half asian girl in japan from tha dirty south, call me a "cracka jap" if you want...thinkin yall need some Nas in your lives.....

that's hilarious.  that's the first time i've laughed/smiled since leaving my contracts final this evening

geezer

• More oysters than you can shake a stick at!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Asian Chat: Brought to you by the pasty Phanatic
« Reply #147 on: December 08, 2004, 04:48:44 AM »
Japan,

We probably saw each other at Temple on Sunday (I was the oldest guy there).  Hope you did well.  My children are half-Japanese, so your thoughts on Japan are very interesting...

Geez

strouse

« Reply #148 on: December 08, 2004, 06:57:16 AM »
Japan, you really need to change your  name on here to Cracka Jap.  It is f-ing hilarious.  I need to check out that book you are talking about.

Geezer- are you an expat?

HTH

Has anyone read the book "Ugly Americans"?

geezer

• More oysters than you can shake a stick at!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: December 08, 2004, 07:16:29 AM »
Hiya Phanatic,

Nice thread you've started.  I'll certainly keep it alive.  I've been in Japan for the most of the last ten years (in the countryside, no less- so my English is suffering as of late).  I'm a pasty guy from the N.E. too (Boston).  I enjoyed your posts on the term "gaijin".  Actually, "gaijin" is a derogatory word (outsider), whereas gaikokujin (other country's person) is more polite.  To me, "gaijin" is the N-word here in Japan...I confront Japanese who use it.

If you're interested in what I'm doing here, check this out:

http://www.debito.org/kunibengodanenglish.html

Law school will certainly help!

BTW...like the daily pic change! 

Geez