Law School Discussion

LR - partisan politics

SanchoPanzo

• My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
Re: LR - partisan politics
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2004, 08:53:09 PM »
I pick B after narrowing it down to B and E. For me it was more a matter of ruling out E (as opposed to ruling in B). I think to be considered, E should have read "Reports by nonpartisan auditors are not generally regarded by the opposition parties as a source of objective assessment of government projects."

This is because as I understand the Q, the press secretary is arguing that the President was not being vindictive because although 90% of the projects cancelled were in districts controlled by opposition parties, the president was justified because he made his decision as a result of the report authored by the respected nonpartisan auditors. So, for E to be an assumption of the press secretary, it should say that "Reports by nonpartisan auditors are generally regarded by the opposition parties as a source of objective assessment of government projects." which would allow the press secretary to use it to defend the presidentís decision as he/she does.

That said, this does not read like a ďrealĒ LSAT question.

maximumtennis82

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2004, 09:02:58 PM »
It's B.

As I read it, this is the correct answer because only if B is true can the argument hold weight against the following counter-example...the non-partisan committee identifies 20 projects as wasteful, 10 belonging to each party...the president slashes funding for 9 minority controlled districts and one for his own party.  In this scenario, the argument brought up by the President's party is true, but does not support the conclusion (that he was not unfairly discriminatory).  If you include B into the set of facts, the conclusion *does* follow.

E cannot be correct...whether the conclusion is true or not does in any way rely upon the views of the minority party (i.e. whether they think the study is valid).

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2004, 09:11:14 PM »
I pick B after narrowing it down to B and E. For me it was more a matter of ruling out E (as opposed to ruling in B). I think to be considered, E should have read "Reports by nonpartisan auditors are not generally regarded by the opposition parties as a source of objective assessment of government projects."

I agree, this was my reasoning in preferring B over E as well. Why do you say this is not worded like a "real" LSAT question?

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2004, 10:03:21 PM »
definitely B...i gotta run to the store really quick but ill post an explanation in a little.

duderbrain

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2004, 10:32:17 PM »
Press secretary: Our critics claim that the Presidentís recent highway project cancellations demonstrate a vindictive desire to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties. They offer as evidence the fact that 90% of the projects cancelled were in such districts. But all of the cancelled projects had been identified as wasteful in a report written by respected nonpartisan auditors. So the Presidentís choice was clearly motivated by sound budgetary policy, not partisan politics.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the press secretaryís argument depends?

B. The scheduled highway projects identified as wasteful in the report were not mostly projects in districts controlled by the Presidentís party.

How can this answer be correct? The prompt states "90% of the projects cancelled were in such districts" (thus the other ten percent that were cancelled WERE NOT in such districts). And then "ALL of the cancelled projects had been identified as wasteful in a report written by respected nonpartisan auditors".

This is telling me that ALL (EVERY single one was identified as wasteful. Therefore answer "B" should be tossed out immediately. it's rubbish)

The only reason I would choose "E" which also does not look correct (it actually looks oppostite of the correct answer-if the reports were generally seen to be objective, this would be the assumption).

I think the dude who posted this question is f-ing around. What test is this from?

Maybe I'm just inept at LSAT arguments. Cassagrossca please share some of your divine wisdom with me on this one.

verbal213

• Go crazy folks, go crazy!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2004, 10:41:39 PM »
It's B because if most of the projects that were determined to be wasteful were in the President's party's districts, but 90% of the cancelled projects were in the opposition's districts, it would be obvious that the President was being partisan.

I'm sure I'm just rephrasing the way someone else has put it, I just read the question.

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2004, 11:20:49 PM »
heres how i see the secretary's argument:  critics are wrong and the presidents action was not motivated by partisan politics because all of the cancelled projects had been identified as wasteful by an unbiased source.

A. whether or not canceling projects was the only way to show partisan bias doesnt matter. look at it from two extremes: "canceling projects was one of 10,000 ways to attack the opposition parties." or "canceling projects is the only way to attack opposition parties."  neither one has any bearing on the secretary's argument.

B.  yes, the argument depends on this assumption because if the projects identified as wasteful were mostly in the presidents districts, then it would suggest bias if 90% of all canceled projects were in opposition districts.

C. doesnt matter what the government is doing in the near future.  negate it and it has no effect on the argument

E. we are concerned with finding the assumption that supports the secretary's argument, not the critics argument.

just look at maximumtennis82's explanation, i agree completely with it.

Wall

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2004, 08:38:53 AM »
The correct answer is B. Thanks casca, Starresky...
You guys are awesome!