Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UGPA vs. GGPA?  (Read 1365 times)

Beta227

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
UGPA vs. GGPA?
« on: February 05, 2003, 05:49:43 PM »
I have a UGPA of 2.55 in Psychology and a GGPA of 3.88 in Exceptionalities/Education (with positive improvements each year), both from the same state school. I have not taken the LSAT yet. I am planning to work for 1-2 years, and then apply to law school in Canada (I am moving to British Columbia).

When looking at GPA, do schools look at undergrad and grad? Or, one or the other? With my GPAs, do I have a shot at getting in a decent school?

MSS

Re: UGPA vs. GGPA?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2003, 07:23:25 AM »
In your case since your UGPA is low they will take in account how well you do on the LSAT.  If your LSAT is good, they will then take into affect the maturity you have shown in graduate school.  If your LSAT school is abismal, I am afraid you are out of luck.

sep03

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 06:14:30 AM »
Most Canadian schools place a huge emphasis on ugrad grades (sometimes even more than the LSAT).  I would call the schools to find out how they would consider you.  I suggest applying as a "mature" applicant so that they consider your graduate and work experiences.
As a regular applicant, I think your chances are:
1) University of British Columbia- low- because they take all of your ugrad grades and drop only 5 of your worst grades
2) University of Victoria & Toronto- low- because they are the hardest schools to get into in Canada (require both a GPA > 3.3 and a LSAT > mid 160s
3) University of Alberta- high- because they look at your two most recent years in school (including grad school); I am assuming that you took many courses in your masters degree
4) University of Calgary & Windsor- medium- because they are very unpredictable; they can reject a candidate with a hi gpa/lsat and accept candidates with low gpa/lsat provided that they have diverse experiences in their application
5) University of Manitoba - medium - they drop your 10 worst half coures (5 full courses) if you have a degree so if you do well on your LSAT, you have good chance
6) Osgoode Hall - low- because they are very gpa heavy.  In fact, the LSAT is only counted as one year of school.  Therefore, if you have 6 years of school, your gpa will count 5/6 and LSAT will count 1/6.
7) Western/Queens- medium to low because they will take your two best ugrad years (I think) but I think your two best ugrad years should be > 3.5
8) Ottawa - I really don't know.  They consider factors such as ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc. so they are fairly unpredictable.
The above is only my opinion.  I suggest calling the schools yourself to get a "real answer".
Good luck with your applications; I am sure everything will work out for you.

Beta227

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 11:26:53 AM »
Thanks so much for the info on the GPAs, particularly the breakdown of the Canadian schools  :) I really appreciate that. I know that I have a lot more research to do, and I am still in the decision making process.

Thanks again!!!

If anyone has any info on message boards for Canadian schools, I'd really appreciate it!  

sep03

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2003, 03:03:57 AM »
You're very welcome.  Again, I just want to stress that I think you have a great chance to get into law school.  For those ones where you may not be as strong of a candidate b/c of ugrad, apply as a mature applicant.
The princeton review sometimes has active Canadian threads.  If you want to find inactive threads, search using the "options" function and use search terms:
www.princetonreview.com.
I actually prefer the following discussion board which is all Canadian:
http://pub58.ezboard.com/fcanadianlawschoolsfrm1

Another general board is www.4lawschool.com.

Good luck.