Law School Discussion

LR sections

Re: LR section
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2004, 01:53:06 PM »
at least it seems like most people found lr 1 to be tough.  im just pissed though, i was absolutely destroying my latest prep tests, the four i took before this test were all between 177-180.  i did a shitload of assumption questions as well and got them all right.  but for some reason i just wasnt sure about a lot of the lr questions on the real thing.  i feel a bit better than i did after the oct test, but i dont think i did quite as well as i had hoped. 

steves

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2004, 01:57:26 PM »
It seemed like there were a lot of assumption, strengthen / weaken in the first LR section. Any other general observations? Do you remember any of the specific questions?

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2004, 01:59:02 PM »
a lot of weird principle questions, like:

principle:
example:

RocketBot

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2004, 02:00:33 PM »
linden, i had the exact same experience as you.  RC+LG, no problem at all.  i was able to finish the first LR section in time, but i didn't feel like i did well (i usually get only 1 or 2 wrong in LR).  i've been testing 170-175 as well, so we'll see how it goes!!  i also got my best score ever on thursday, which was a bit scary, as i didn't want to be too confident going in.

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2004, 02:01:31 PM »
I feel like I must've taken a different test. Everybody's talking about that really hard 26-question LR section, but that section was by far my best one. I answered every single question and was able to justify all my answers. And because it was the first section I took, it gave me a boost of confidence going into the remaining sections.

By contrast my RC and AR were just...abortions. I got really flustered by the passage on the Hippocratic Oath, and in games I realized halfway through the easy linear game that I'd miswritten a rule, which completely freaked me out. Not only did I have to redo most of the game from the 1st question, but the frustration carried through the rest of the section and I couldn't think clearly. Didn't even get to start the fourth game.

My average preptest score has been around 168, but I'm afraid today's games brought me down to 162-165.

Blah.

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2004, 02:04:16 PM »
Actually LR Bible says that there will likely be an increase in principle questions. Some of these are very hard and you cant just use your intuition. Sometimes the answer is in the contrapositive. Its weird though I actually thought the second LR was harder but everyone is saying the first was. Maybe I just had more intensity during the first. RC was not too bad. The main thing with RC is that I understood the passages.

ryanjm

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2004, 02:05:10 PM »
I've been scoring around 165-168 on my practice lsats. I think I hit that range as long as the scale isn't ridiculous.
lr1 was tough, lr2 easy, rc medium-tough, lg easy. Overall the scale will probably be about the same as october i think.

chipmonkee

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2004, 02:06:52 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only person who found the LR section a bit frustrating!  I also found the RC and LG to be breezy...but the LR seemed to be from another planet!  I'm glad it's over, but not sure whether to register for February. :-\  I was averaging 161-169 on my practice tests, but am completely unsure about what cards will be dealt my way.

steves

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2004, 02:07:22 PM »
Trying to decide whether or not to cancel...My last prep test was a 168. I was shooting for a 170. I think it depends on which section was experimental. Maybe you can add to the outline I started below, so we can try to determine which LR was experimental...BTW, I am really brain dead right now...anyone else?

Section 1: Logical Reasoning
General Observations:
- There seemed to be a lot of strengthen / weaken questions
- I think there were only 24 questions in this section
Specific Observations / Recollections
- Problem 12. I got stuck on this problem. It was about dioxides
- Question 11, was C

Section 2: Reading Comprehension
Passages:
1. Constitutional Rights of Canadian Aborigines
2. The Evolution of Lichen Fungi
3. Hippocratic Oath
4. ?

Section 3: Logical Reasoning
General Observations:
- The emphasis was on principle questions, logical flaw, and paradox.
- I think there were 25 or 26 questions
Specific Observations:
- There was a problem about sea turtles getting stuck in shrimp nets   

Section 4: Logic Games
1. Sequencing game…Patterson has 5 meetings and workout 1:00, 2:00….   
2. Sequencing Game...Chess Game
3. Country X, Y, and Z export a bunch of fruit. Distribute the fruit to the countries

Section 5: Logical Reasoning:
General Observations:
- Again there seemed to be an emphasis on logical flaw, paradox and assumption
- I believe there 25 or 26 questions
Specific Observations / Recollections:
- There was a question about the ascetic ideal of Monks

bhvexille

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2004, 02:11:03 PM »
Huh?  You had an experimental arguments section?

My test was:

Reading Comp
Arguments
Reading Comp
---break---
Arguments
Games
---Writing sample---

So the reading comp was the experimental.. "still" waiting for my email from princeton review to tell me which one.