Law School Discussion

LR sections

LR sections
« on: December 04, 2004, 12:23:59 PM »
can we start discussing this section yet?
my first LR killed me; it was long, and i couldn't finish.
i thought the experimental LR was easier. hence, i am dying to go thru some questions to decide whether i should cancel or not.

strouse

Re: LR section
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 12:25:47 PM »
How is it you know which was the experimental?  I took in Oct., but I keep seeing here people thinking they know which it was.  I don't see how that is possible.

legallyliz

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 01:17:13 PM »
i was told from testmasters that the experimental has typically been in the first 3 sections.  also, everyone's experimental is in the same section (ie: section 3 in the oct 04 test).  so if you got two RC sections, one was in section 1-3 and the other one was in section 4 or 5, then you can probably assume that the RC section in the earlier section is the experimental. 

you can also confirm this with others who've taken the test what section was experimental, since there are several versions of the test and not everyone gets the same experimental. 

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 01:19:05 PM »
please wait for 3 more hours.
-----------------------------------

Please READ BEFORE POSTING specifics about Dec04 exam!
on: Today at 03:02:08 AM    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In case no one else has mentioned it again recently, test takers in the far east (e.g. Japan, Korea, Austalia) will not have taken the exam tomorrow by the time we in the US have finished and are ready to start discussing it and rehashing and reconstructing various questions and answers on this and other internet boards.

The possibility that those overseas could use this for unfair advantage was mentioned back in October, but only after it was too late. Some test takers in Asia admitted having access to valuable info before the test because of this. I would consider it a given that some folks on the other side of the Pacific will be cruising this board for hints, especially given the discussion it generated last time (people joking about flying to Japan to test and whatnot). But they can't exploit this opportunity unless we make it available to them. And realistically, someone who posts info about the exam before all have tested is in just as much violation of LSAT rules as is anyone who would seek and use that info.

So please keep this in mind, and strongly consider postponing any specific discussion of games, questions, or answers until around 6:00pm Eastern time, when those in Asia/Australia will have started the exam for the most part. Just a suggestion in the interest of keeping things as fair for everyone as possible. Thanks.

strouse

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 01:28:12 PM »
i was told from testmasters that the experimental has typically been in the first 3 sections.  also, everyone's experimental is in the same section (ie: section 3 in the oct 04 test).  so if you got two RC sections, one was in section 1-3 and the other one was in section 4 or 5, then you can probably assume that the RC section in the earlier section is the experimental. 

you can also confirm this with others who've taken the test what section was experimental, since there are several versions of the test and not everyone gets the same experimental. 

Ok, I see the logic there.  People make it sound like they know for sure, but there really is no way to be cerain, except of course if the scenarion you discussed with the first three sections is in fact always true.  Thanks for clarifying for me. 

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 01:28:56 PM »
"
Section 1 LR was really tough.  I ran out of time with 3 questions blank, which, in 40 or so timed practice sessions, had never happened to me.  I destroyed the logic games and found RC to be pretty standard.  I remember the other two LRs being fairly standard.  #3 I finished with no extra time, whereas #5 I finished with some time left.  "

i agree completely with this, although i was able to finish the first lr section(rushed though).  i absolutely rocked the games, i finished with literally over 10 minutes left.  rc wasnt so bad, the aboriginal passage was the only one that gave me some trouble. but damn, the lr sucked for some reason though.  too bad its looking like the 3rd section is experimental because it was definitely easier than the first lr section.

lookwhois

• 3.63 / 168
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 01:33:47 PM »
"
Section 1 LR was really tough.  I ran out of time with 3 questions blank, which, in 40 or so timed practice sessions, had never happened to me.  I destroyed the logic games and found RC to be pretty standard.  I remember the other two LRs being fairly standard.  #3 I finished with no extra time, whereas #5 I finished with some time left.  "

i agree completely with this, although i was able to finish the first lr section(rushed though).  i absolutely rocked the games, i finished with literally over 10 minutes left.  rc wasnt so bad, the aboriginal passage was the only one that gave me some trouble. but damn, the lr sucked for some reason though.  too bad its looking like the 3rd section is experimental because it was definitely easier than the first lr section.

glad to see that i'm not the only one who believes LR#1 was tough as hell

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2004, 01:37:56 PM »
LR # 1 was the most difficult lr I've taken.  I've never been so uncertain on so many.  It seemed like on a couple there just wasn't a clear answer....

tjordan90

• 3.44 / 164
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tjordan90
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2004, 01:38:37 PM »
You can tell the experimental with 99.9% accuracy if you count up the questions.  Normally it added up to 101, but the testmakers are evidently reducing the number to 100.  The .1% showed up in October (as it was the first test with 100 questions intended to be scored) and was a very surprising occurrence.

1. Historically, the experimental section has ALWAYS been in 1,2,3.
2. I had 3 LR's (s1,3,5); therefore 1 LR section is experimental.
3. Between 1 and 3, the section thats add up to 100 or 101 are the real ones.  If it adds up to 99, try again.

To be 100% certain about the experimental, you need to ask a buddy.  The LSAT experimental section is always the same section.  Section 3 was one of my neighbor's 2 LG's.  Section 3 was one of my 3 LR's.  Therefore, Section 3 is it.

steves

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2004, 01:50:04 PM »
I struggled with the first logical reasoning section as well. I have been testing well (in the high 160s) and have been finishing each section with 5 minutes remaining. However, on today's test I didn't finish the first LR section.Are you sure the first one was not experimental? I got stuck on question 12...something about Dioxides?

My line up was the following:
Logical Reasoning
Reading Comp
Logical Reasoning
Logic Games
Logical Reasoning