Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: schools without letters of rec?  (Read 555 times)

lalalaw1

• View Profile
    • Email
schools without letters of rec?
« on: April 15, 2004, 06:48:38 PM »
I'm wondering if there are any law schools out there that don't require letters of rec?  I saw on Washington University at St. Louis that they do not require letters of rec (optional) so was wondering if anyone knew of any other law schools like that?  Thanks!

thechoson

Re: schools without letters of rec?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 06:51:07 PM »
USD and McGeorge

Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 06:52:23 PM »
I believe that recommendations were optional at both The University of San Diego and Santa Clara University.  :)

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 09:54:44 AM »
Even if they aren't required, you should still have at least one. Show that someone has something good to say about you.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

nathanielmark

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 10:05:17 AM »
Just out of curiosity, why would you seek out such schools?  I doubt anyone who doesnt have a professor who happens to be a close buddy particularly enjoys seeking out these letters, but it is largely just a formality and plays little into the outcome of the application process.

i think it would be unwise to select schools to avoid getting letters.  there must be someone out there who would write you one?

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2004, 12:36:36 PM »
im actually dreading the LORs.  i can ask former bosses, but i think my former professors are all dead or are strung out on drugs in amsterdam.  if i ask my current boss, he will wonder why i would need it and then think that im leaving...and then he'll fire me. 

i may have to resort to getting them from my mother-in-law (she loves me), the coffee guy in the deli downstairs (he loves me...in a different way), or people on this board.

anyone wanna write a rec for me?
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

nathanielmark

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2004, 12:41:03 PM »
I am dreading them also.  I am actually going to contact the head of my department from underad (im 5 years out of school) who i think will vaguely remember me.  im sure it will be awkward, but i am going to remind him i got an A in his class, as well as nearly all As in other classes in the major.  from what i understand, LORs is part of their job, profs generally want to help their students further themselves, and i would be shocked if he refused.

the other one will be my boss, who i could not see refusing.  just tell your boss you will be attending part time, if you wind up going full time, so you changed your mind.  you will already have your LOR.

im actually dreading the LORs.  i can ask former bosses, but i think my former professors are all dead or are strung out on drugs in amsterdam.  if i ask my current boss, he will wonder why i would need it and then think that im leaving...and then he'll fire me. 

i may have to resort to getting them from my mother-in-law (she loves me), the coffee guy in the deli downstairs (he loves me...in a different way), or people on this board.

anyone wanna write a rec for me?