;

Author Topic: .  (Read 4923 times)

PsychJK

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: NYU admissions will be tougher this year due to decreased class size
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2004, 10:21:43 AM »
i just hope they don't use deferrals and longer waitlists as the means of being more conservative
Accepted: GULC, Duke, USC, NYU, UPenn, UVA, UMich, Cornell, Notre Dame, Vandy, UChicago
Pending:Columbia
Deferred: HLS

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=PsychJK

PsychJK

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2004, 10:25:17 AM »
Pookie, is the link you gave to the right post?  Somehow I'm not seeing info on the overenrolled schools of last year...
Accepted: GULC, Duke, USC, NYU, UPenn, UVA, UMich, Cornell, Notre Dame, Vandy, UChicago
Pending:Columbia
Deferred: HLS

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=PsychJK

littlelucy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2004, 01:41:02 PM »
<looks around for nearest cliff>

i hope you don't go to cornell...

i will is penn doesnt want me, but by that time i'll certainly be over the self-pity   ;)
dirty yalie

calguy815

• Sr. Citizen
  • NYU '07
    • AOL Instant Messenger - calguy815
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2004, 04:37:42 PM »
This is a great example of always making sure to check your sources.

That article is indeed from 2001, and both of the deans mentioned are no longer even deans at each of the schools.  As far as construction is concerned, it is true that NYU reduced class sizes during that period due to massive rennovations.  However, as of this school year, they completed construction and thus have accepted more students.  The class size is actually now above 440.  The admissions dean specifically told us that they are now able to admit more applicants due to the fact that the facilities have been increased to accommodate more students.  So yes, class sizes were reduced due to construction and now have been brought back up since construction is finished.  I would expect that the number accepted this year will be about the same as last year, and see no substantial reason why that would change.

It's kind of funny to me that people are so quick to question the motives behind every move each university makes.  Seems to me from the students I've met here at NYU, we have enough to worry about without also caring about how or what Columbia is doing.  As an applicant, perhaps, but once you decided where to go, it hardly matters anymore.  I'm sure it's the same over there.  If there's a rivalry, I sure don't feel it as a student here.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2004, 05:48:25 PM »
Pookie, is the link you gave to the right post?  Somehow I'm not seeing info on the overenrolled schools of last year...

the link was for buster, who suspected that slipperyslobe is superiorlobe.  :)

<looks around for nearest cliff>

i hope you don't go to cornell...

i will is penn doesnt want me, but by that time i'll certainly be over the self-pity ;)

i meant that i hope you don't go to cornell now, since you were looking for something to jump off of...  ;)  nothing wrong with going to cornell law school; it sounds like a fine place.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2004, 05:51:10 PM »
in response to calguy's post, i wouldn't expect the students of the two premier NYC schools to be concerned about the students at the other school.  but it would certainly make sense for the administration and other behind-the-scenes people to be VERY concerned with what's going on at that school when they're both trying to attract the finest students to their school.  i don't think that's a bad thing, either.  as long as the changes at each school are benefitting the students (i.e., spending more money on new facilities, handing out more scholarships, whatever it is), then it benefits all.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?