Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why isn't Georgetown ranked higher?  (Read 8483 times)

jaxon

Re: Why isn't Georgetown ranked higher?
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 01:33:13 PM »
it makes sense because most of the TX in-staters would probably be looking at UT as the highest ranking school they can attend.

sordomudo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 01:42:57 PM »
Edit: I meant to write "really huge class size works against them"

T-Money, you can click the "Edit" button on any of your posts to fix 'em, thus avoiding the at times embarassing correction posts. :) Just FYI.

jaxon

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 01:52:12 PM »
thanks for clearing that up

There was another post up here momentarily that Reindeers' was in response to, it disappeared shortly there-after.

It was my post.  I thought about it for a second and deleted it after posting.  I don't want to be an incendiary type around here and it needlessly furthered one of my own beliefs (that all law schools are somehwat prestigious), in a way that wasn't germane to what is a somewhat legit thread.

vagrant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2004, 01:59:51 PM »
There was another post up here momentarily that Reindeers' was in response to, it disappeared shortly there-after.

It was my post.  I thought about it for a second and deleted it after posting.  I don't want to be an incendiary type around here and it needlessly furthered one of my own beliefs (that all law schools are somehwat prestigious), in a way that wasn't germane to what is a somewhat legit thread.

Yeah, I in no way meant this post to be inflamatory.  If anything, I'm pointing out what may be a glitch in the rankings.  (One that if corrected might hurt me, since UVa is one of my top 3 schools.)

Koga

• Sr. Citizen
  • K 231, Bitches.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2004, 02:15:44 PM »

And I had thought that Reindeer was just acting on some crackhead impulse to post irrelevant commentary.
Recipient of the SPD Christmas Concussion.

NYKnicks

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2004, 05:50:43 PM »

And I had thought that Reindeer was just acting on some crackhead impulse to post irrelevant commentary.

You were not wrong.

S.J.

• Sr. Citizen
  • That which does not kill us, makes us stronger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2004, 12:09:33 PM »
  Georgetown is a top program with great students.  However, it's overall reputation is good, but not great.  If you check reputation ratings in USNews over the past 10 years, it rarely cracks the top 10 in either category.  It's simply not a traditional top ten in the way some other schools are. 

(I've never personally heard that it was the "safety school of choice" for people seeking 1-6 programs.  You'll need to elaborate on that.) 

One main problem with Gtown is it's generally considered to have the worst environment of any top school.  It's very large and impersonal, very competitive, and apparently has many students who feel they should really be somewhere else (higher-ranked).  With such large class every year, it becomes hard for those on the bottom to get good jobs, and this creates a more competitive, unpleasant environment.

Also, while it's located in a good city, it's actual neighborhood and structure isn't that great.  (Very urban, not very inspiring.)  I hear it's improving, though.

Finally, their faculty isn't that highly ranked in most surveys, which seems surprising, given the amount of talent that should be in that city.   

All in all, I'd say Gtown has traditionally been more of a safety school for people who couldn't get into the top 10, for the reasons noted.  However, there's still no question that it's excellent, top program, in the middle of the most important political/legal city on the planet.  It may therefore move up in the future, especially if they address some of their outstanding issues. 
T25 or bust

jaxon

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2004, 12:19:30 PM »
georgetown made the cooley top 5

hocuspocus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2004, 02:08:54 AM »
All the part-time students do not help.  Nor does the overwhelming size and its general appearance as a lawyer factory.  And its yield simply isn't high enough (due in part to the fact that a very small, but undeniable percentage of people have issues with going to a Catholic school).

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2004, 02:21:54 AM »
1. gtown's a catholic school?

2. yield isn't actually part of the rankings.  acceptance rate is, but not matriculation rate.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?