Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do I have a chance???  (Read 1278 times)

luluhallmark

• GPA 3.8-LSAT:TOO ASHAMED TO POST!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Do I have a chance???
« on: December 02, 2004, 02:28:03 AM »
I am 39 years old, have been a paralegal for 12 years in a mid sized firm in Dallas.  I take the LSAT on Saturday, my current GPA is 3.78.  I have four EXCELLENT Letters of Recommendation from three attorneys.  I have worked for all of them.  My problem is this, I am terrified of the LSAT and the highest score I have made so far has been a 156 with most ranging from 151-154.  I am worried that I will score below that because of the "tension" of taking the test.  How much weight can I expect to be placed on my LSAT with everything I have stated?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Applied:  Baylor, SMU, U of Tenn, Hofstra, U of Houston, Duke, Texas Tech, U of Ark-Fayetteville, George Mason, LSU, Washington and Lee, and Case Western
Denied:  None
Accepted:  None

LSAT SCORE:  DO OVER!!!

vagrant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Do I have a chance???
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 02:29:11 AM »
have you considered smoking pot before the test?

luluhallmark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 02:35:55 AM »
It's an option, hahaha. 
Applied:  Baylor, SMU, U of Tenn, Hofstra, U of Houston, Duke, Texas Tech, U of Ark-Fayetteville, George Mason, LSU, Washington and Lee, and Case Western

vagrant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 02:36:23 AM »
what schools do you want to attend?

luluhallmark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 02:40:02 AM »
I have taken the advice of the attorneys I work for an applied all over the place.  I am Hispanic, single mother of two daughters, was raised in a poor rural community...you know the whole sad sack bit, anyway, I have applied to the following.  I am listing them in the order of which I would LIKE to go, however, at this point, I just know I'm going somewhere.

1.  Southern Methodist University
2.  University of Texas
3.  Baylor
4.  University of Houston
5.  Duke (yeah, right, but what the heck??  My sister lives there)
6.  University of Arkansas-Fayetteville

What do you think?

writter

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 02:41:41 AM »
just exercise the day before the test to make sure you sleep well, then have a strong cup of coffee 90 minutes before the test, then concentrate like you never have before. I predict 157.

luluhallmark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 02:43:47 AM »
Writter, you made me smile for the first time in several days, hahaha.......... :-*  I am home tomorrow (today, yawn) and Friday in preparation for Saturday. 

Thanks for the encouragement!

mercutio_13

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 06:58:32 PM »
You'll do fine.  You have a lot working in your favor.  Female. Great WE. Excellent LOR. Under-represented minority. Strong GPA.  Your LSAT will just be icing on the cake.
Stay focused and stay alert, and you should do fine. 

Don't psyche yourself out about it.  Be confident in what you have going allready and that will help you to stay calm during the test.

luluhallmark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 10:57:52 PM »
Thank you so very much for the words of encouragement.  I don't know why I am having such a hard time with the LSAT.  I just can't seem to think like they do, haha.

BigTex

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 11:30:53 PM »
I seriously almost vomitted during the LSAT. Seriously, I had some full-blown gags. I was so incredibly nervous. Sweating like crazy the whole time, drips of sweat trickling down my face. Total cotton-mouth. I was a completel physical disaster.

I mention all this not to freak you out but to show that you don't have to freak out about freaking out. I got a 162 which was just below my average practice score of 163. So, the major freak out didn't really hurt me at all.

So, if you notice yourself freaking out during the test, fine - just let it happen and go with it. But you don't need to square or cube your freakout by stressing out about the fact that you're freaking out.