Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is giving Gift certificates for Christmas a good idea?  (Read 510 times)

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Is giving Gift certificates for Christmas a good idea?
« on: December 02, 2004, 01:03:14 AM »
Something tells me its not a good idea because if you give someone like a $500 dollar Gift certificate that can be used anywhere, the person will shop till they drop, buying all sorts of things like videogames, books, music, clothes, etc. But will they remember who hooked them up with all those things? I received a Barnes and Noble gift certificate and I used it to buy a book. But peep this . . . whenever I read this book or glance at it on my desk I never remember how I got it. I just assume I bought it with my own money. I forget how someone handed me a Gift certificates to buy the book.

This is like a lost in translation kind of problem. The same thing goes for giving money on Christmas.

Now if someone gift wraps a book and gives it to me i'm going to think of that person each time I'm reading that book. Whenever I glance at the book on my desk it will invoke the memory of receiving it from my friend on Christmas. And I will think of that person whenever I read the book.

the REAL desi

Re: Is giving Gift certificates for Christmas a good idea?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 01:06:45 AM »
i got a bunch of them for diwali.  i hope to get a bunch of them for chanukkah as well.

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 01:13:27 AM »
I mean gift certificates are good if you are receiving them but if you are giving them thats another issue.

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 01:18:35 AM »
Gift certificates are great gifts to give/receive. People (especially students) like being able to choose their gifts and decide whether to purchase something fun that they want or something that they need.

dr_draino

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 01:27:19 AM »
i got a bunch of them for diwali.  i hope to get a bunch of them for chanukkah as well.

Please let me display my pasty-whiteness for all to see:

chanukkah as in the jewish holiday correct?  desi, are you Jewish?  I didn't know this was possible.

debstar

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 01:29:49 AM »
Gift certs are ok if you happen to be very close to the person you want to give it to.  One of my friends is the pickest person ever so we've made it a rule to not waste shopping time trying to find something that she will eventually go exchange. 

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 01:36:29 AM »
Ok but do people usually remember how they got the gift when they get gift certificates?

I would think they would totally forget.

debstar

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 01:38:20 AM »
If it's your close friends, of course.  We always make it a point to say, "Nice SHOES. Who got you those???" when we see stuff that she bought with the gift cert.

But even if they don't remember that you bought it for them everytime they walk by the shelf, is that the point of gift-giving in the first place?

A_guy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 03:02:44 AM »
gift cards are fine for friends and family.  i suggest the americna express gift card b/c it can be used anywhere unlike store specific cards.  i don't know about u, but i always remember what i did with my gift card and who gave it to me.

A.J

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 03:33:02 AM »
Ask an economicst to ruin Christmas for you.

I love this article and the paper it references; "The Deadweight Loss of Christmas"

Give cash.