Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Applying to law school at your ugrad institution  (Read 977 times)

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
Applying to law school at your ugrad institution
« on: April 15, 2004, 11:11:52 AM »
does anyone know if it is easier for an applicant to get accepted at a law school if you attended the university as an undergrad? 
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
Re: Applying to law school at your ugrad institution
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 11:13:34 AM »
I'm hoping it is. Rutgers is my first choice. I've heard that generally it IS easier but it also helps if you still live in the same area.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 02:09:44 PM »
does anyone know if it is easier for an applicant to get accepted at a law school if you attended the university as an undergrad? 

I would say most likely yes. There are several reasons why univeristies prefer their own, an increase in the likelihood of future donations not the least of them.

Chris

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 02:22:17 PM »

I would say most likely yes. There are several reasons why univeristies prefer their own, an increase in the likelihood of future donations not the least of them.

Chris

so if i tell them that i will be willing to donate $x per year to them, will that get me in?  crap...i already donate to the overrated school.  and all i got from them was a lousy t-shirt (and a large loan to repay for ugrad). 

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 03:50:11 PM »
I think it depends on the school.  According to a Boalt rep, Berkeley is one of their biggest feeder schools.  However, she did say that Boalt accepts about 15 to 20 students from Berkeley a year.  So, if that's what they mean by accepting a lot...I don't know.  But the rumor or myth I've always heard as undergrad is that Boalt would prefer not to get students from Berkeley.  Who knows.  It seems that each school is different.  USC law, on the other hand, gives fee waivers to their undergraduates to encourage them to apply to the law school.  (At least this is what I heard.)  But, who's to say that they have an easier way of getting in. 

I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

ccptexas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 04:06:58 PM »
while they didn't accept me (with a 3.8 from their own institution...am not bitter), i know that georgetown favors its undergrads.  they have forty-six people in their first year class from gu right now, which, while not an overwhelming number, is certainly a significant one.

good luck!

carolinehttp://

thechoson

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 05:15:14 PM »
I am an undergrad at UCLA.  I went to the law school and asked about this topic, and they showed me the top feeder schools for UCLA Law, and they were the Ivies- Harvard, Princeton, Yale, and then really good schools like Georgetown, CAL, etc.  However, UCLA was like third on that list, I think behind Harvard and Stanford.  However, the admissions people told me in this case, do not let stats fool you.  Indeed, a lot of schools with undergrads attached to law schools have similar stats, which makes it seem like the Law school favors the undergrad.
In UCLA's case, the admissions people said there are certain factors that make it such a big feeder.  Number one is they get the MOST apps from UCLA students.  Familiarity, not wanting to move, but mostly UCLA is HUGE with lots of students.  These were all factors.  Thus they said that while UCLA is a major feeder for UCLA, they give ABSOLUTELY no favor to UCLA students at all.

altrnet18

• Heading to Hastings
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004, 07:53:48 PM »
USC law, on the other hand, gives fee waivers to their undergraduates to encourage them to apply to the law school.  (At least this is what I heard.)

That's true. It actually says that in USC's application book.

hollywoodude

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2004, 08:09:34 PM »
I heard thats because they do not like taking SC undergrads and therefore give fee waivers to compensate for the lack of advantage.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 09:07:50 PM »
I heard thats because they do not like taking SC undergrads and therefore give fee waivers to compensate for the lack of advantage.

thats one for the reverse psychology books!  very interesting indeed...