Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Recommendation Not Up To My Expectations - What To Do ???  (Read 3971 times)

BAFF213

Re: Recommendation Not Up To My Expectations - What To Do ???
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2004, 02:25:43 AM »
No, they won't know.  What the hell are you doing posting actual useful posts about law school at a time like this?

I had to cancel the LOR tonight before any other schools could get it.  I had to make an executive decision quickly.

BAFF213

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2004, 02:27:51 AM »
Thanks man.  Unfortunately, BC is the only school that was able to get their hands on this LOR. :-\

No they won't know. It will never get sent in an LSDAS report so you don't have to worry. Schools don't know what letters you have available/processed....thats why you can inactivate school specific letters for all schools except the one you want it to go to, etc. Regardless, they won't know although I still think taking the time to solicit a better letter with the angle I mentioned from this Prof will be in your best interest in the long run.

Either way good luck with all your apps, esp BC.

OK OK - I'm cancelling it.  I just cancelled it.  Will law schools know that I cancelled this LOR/made it inactive (will they see it)?  Thanks everybody for the advice by the way.  I didn't realize you could make an LOR inactive.

"Though I am only beginning to become acquainted with his written work, I have no doubt that he is “up to snuff” in this category as well."

"Though I am only beginning" = don't take the positive things that I am going to say that seriously.

I have no doubt that he is “up to snuff” = I don't know for sure, but he's a nice guy and I have no reason to believe that his written work will not be up to snuff.

Tea

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2004, 06:25:01 PM »
I'm afraid you've been egged on.

This was a perfectly acceptable LOR, the kind that adcomms see all the time. In fact, likely better than most professional LORs. Adcomms care how well the person knows you as a LS candidate (established) and that you have his highest recommendation (established).

You called this letter horrible, mediocre, "too typical." You were expecting a lot more from him, he got lazy, and/or it was too short. You even said something along the lines of expecting someone to spend a day on a LOR for you -- really? It's not too general; it was clearly personalized and not a form letter. You say he didn't have the time, motivation, and energy, but maybe this is the sum total impression he has.

It was not a detriment; the only concern you might have had would have been sending more than necessary. You call the others presumably good, possibly great. Yet these were your expectations of *this* one, too, right? I'd have left it.

BTW, the typo doesn't reflect on you at all.

At least you didn't ask him to revise it. If someone asked me to revise a letter like that, you bet I would!

Good luck, knock 'em dead.

Lulu

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2004, 08:03:11 PM »
I think you made the right move in cancelling it. I did not think it was a great letter- it wasn't a bad letter, but he obviously didn't care too much to make you really stand out. For instance, he could have said that he knows you well since you're both his TA and his thesis advisee, but instead, he said he really hasn't taught you or known you for that long, and so (if you read between teh  lines) that he's not qualified to say that you're the best student he's ever had,etc. THis is something I would write for someone who I didn't want to be rude by saying I wouldn't write it, but for someone I wasn't really recommending, for whatever reason.

BAFF213

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2004, 11:01:40 PM »
For instance, he could have said that he knows you well since you're both his TA and his thesis advisee, but instead, he said he really hasn't taught you or known you for that long, and so (if you read between teh  lines) that he's not qualified to say that you're the best student he's ever had,etc.

Exactly.  I mean, I've been out to dinner with the guy twice (he took all the TA's out to dinner), and I interact with him personally constantly.

NothingSpecial

« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2004, 06:41:49 PM »
I think you made the right decision to cancel it.  It said good things, but you really did not feel like his heart was in it.  I'm having a similar problem - I had a professor write me one, and I've been trying to get my hands on it but he has not responded to my request yet... I'm sure it's good and says nice things, but I dont' know he'll put his heart into it.

I am writing my second recommendation from an employer.  I'm disgusted writing these things about myself, but hey, I figure if the other one says great thing, this one does too, but goes that extra mile to show how amazing I am - then maybe I'll be okay.

One comment you made was about the Montauk letters - does anyone else think they are insanely long and almost too boaring. I know I didn't even feel like reading them in the book?  I'll do a poll, but let me know what you think.