Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Recommendation Not Up To My Expectations - What To Do ???  (Read 3989 times)

writter

Re: Recommendation Not Up To My Expectations - What To Do ???
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2004, 01:12:08 AM »
"Corey is a very thoughtful, conscientious, and committed student" = in other words, I'm not saying that he is bright or creative or has spontaneous ideas that are unconventional yet oddly compelling.

thoughtful, conscientious, committed = boring guy who plods along and does his duty as a student.

BAFF213

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2004, 01:12:41 AM »
I think the letter is quite weak.  At best it damns with faint praise.

EXACTLY - at least someone agrees with me.  I couldn't have said it better, you are right on the money.  You've inspired me to cancel the LOR (make it "inactive").

writter

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2004, 01:13:50 AM »
he obviously has to say something positive since it is a letter of recommendation, so he forced himself to come up with something.  But he is obviously not trying to keep his overwhelming enthusiasm in check.  if I ever read a non enthusiastic letter, that was it.

writter

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2004, 01:16:32 AM »
"I am singularly impressed with his dedication to excel in everything he undertakes. "

in other words, he doesn't actually excel in everything -- he just really wants to.

BAFF213

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2004, 01:17:35 AM »
he obviously has to say something positive since it is a letter of recommendation, so he forced himself to come up with something.  But he is obviously not trying to keep his overwhelming enthusiasm in check.  if I ever read a non enthusiastic letter, that was it.

Like I said, I honestly think that if he had the time, motivation, and energy, that he could have written an excellent recommendation.  He just didn't have at least one or two of those three though.

BAFF213

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2004, 01:18:53 AM »
"I am singularly impressed with his dedication to excel in everything he undertakes. "

in other words, he doesn't actually excel in everything -- he just really wants to.

In conclusion - this LOR is not "up to snuff"!   :o

writter

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2004, 01:19:48 AM »
"Though I am only beginning to become acquainted with his written work, I have no doubt that he is “up to snuff” in this category as well."

"Though I am only beginning" = don't take the positive things that I am going to say that seriously.

I have no doubt that he is “up to snuff” = I don't know for sure, but he's a nice guy and I have no reason to believe that his written work will not be up to snuff.

BAFF213

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2004, 01:45:14 AM »
OK OK - I'm cancelling it.  I just cancelled it.  Will law schools know that I cancelled this LOR/made it inactive (will they see it)?  Thanks everybody for the advice by the way.  I didn't realize you could make an LOR inactive.

"Though I am only beginning to become acquainted with his written work, I have no doubt that he is “up to snuff” in this category as well."

"Though I am only beginning" = don't take the positive things that I am going to say that seriously.

I have no doubt that he is “up to snuff” = I don't know for sure, but he's a nice guy and I have no reason to believe that his written work will not be up to snuff.

dr_draino

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2004, 01:55:13 AM »
No, they won't know.  What the hell are you doing posting actual useful posts about law school at a time like this?

AMB22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2004, 01:58:54 AM »
No they won't know. It will never get sent in an LSDAS report so you don't have to worry. Schools don't know what letters you have available/processed....thats why you can inactivate school specific letters for all schools except the one you want it to go to, etc. Regardless, they won't know although I still think taking the time to solicit a better letter with the angle I mentioned from this Prof will be in your best interest in the long run.

Either way good luck with all your apps, esp BC.

OK OK - I'm cancelling it.  I just cancelled it.  Will law schools know that I cancelled this LOR/made it inactive (will they see it)?  Thanks everybody for the advice by the way.  I didn't realize you could make an LOR inactive.