Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Recommendation Not Up To My Expectations - What To Do ???  (Read 4102 times)

HKrustofsky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Horrible Recommendation - What To Do ???
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 12:03:35 AM »
If it's just that the letter isn't as glowing as you expected then you really shouldn't worry about it. But if you think the letter reflects poorly on you then make it inactive.

BAFF213

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004, 12:09:40 AM »
Maybe it's not so bad.  I don't know - I may be holding him to too high standards.  But I will say this - I was expecting a lot more.  I read Montauk's book and what Montauk considers to be "mediocre" LORs are, in my opinion, much better than this one.  I might as well just post it here.  Let me know what you think - here it is:

I am writing this letter to recommend Corey ___ for law school admission.  I know Corey for approximately six months.  Though I have not taught Corey in a class yet, he has served as my teaching assistant for a 450-person introductory course this semester, and as well, I am his honors thesis advisor.  In these capacities, and in addition given that I am a former practicing attorney, I have spent quite a bit of time working and talking with and advising Corey.

Corey is a very thoughtful, conscientious, and committed student and teaching assistant.  He is someone who carefully plans out his classes as well as his future pathways.  I am singularly impressed with his dedication to excel in everything he undertakes.  I know that he will be an excellent law student and attorney, if he chooses to make that his life’s work.  Corey has the questioning mind, dedication to his craft, and presentation skills that lawyers need.  Though I am only beginning to become acquainted with his written work, I have no doubt that he is “up to snuff” in this category as well.  I have reviewed both his thesis proposal and a personal statement he has written and can say from that material that he is at the top of his class in terms of writing ability.

In short, I give Corey my highest recommendation.  I believe that any law school would benefit from having Corey in its entering class.

Sincerely,
                                  _____

Yea - he wasn't kidding when he said "in short".  Ha.

By the way - might I add that he is a still a great guy (he's very nice).

BAFF213

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2004, 12:12:07 AM »
If it's just that the letter isn't as glowing as you expected then you really shouldn't worry about it. But if you think the letter reflects poorly on you then make it inactive.

Definitely the first thing - it's not what I expected at all.  I expected more description and more details.  Basically, I expected a great recommendation, not this general stuff.  I don't think it reflects on me poorly, I just think that it is too "typical" of a recommendation.  In fact, it is probably worse than the typical recommendation.

foxnewssucks

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2004, 12:12:22 AM »
that isnt bad.. but he hasnt taught you?

BAFF213

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2004, 12:13:39 AM »
P.S.  I just typed that whole LOR up for you guys - not that it was really that long!

BAFF213

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2004, 12:17:34 AM »

It's not that bad, but I think my other two may be much better.  Therefore, I may want to make this LOR "inactive" since it won't really add anything to what the other two have said.  The only other minor thing is that Montauk says you should use people of different genders and my other two LORs are both from women (could be a good thing though since I'm guy?).

As far as taking a class that he has taught - no I haven't.  But he is my thesis advisor for this entire year so we're actually working more closely with eachother than a teacher and student normally would.  We have got to know each other pretty well.  I'm a TA for his class too so we see each other all the time.  Also, he took myself and the four other TA's out to dinner twice this semester to "discuss business".  We pretty much just socialized the whole time - good times.

I think he knows me pretty well (well enough to write more than two small paragraphs).  In fact, I just gave him his gift (for writing the LOR) after class tonight (I almost didn't want to give it to him after seeing the LOR!).  Like I said, he is still a great guy though.

foxnewssucks

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2004, 12:19:09 AM »

No, but he's my thesis advisor for this entire year so we're actually working more closely with eachother than a teacher and student normally would.  We have got to know each other pretty well.  I'm a TA for his class too so we see each other all the time.  Also, he took myself and the four other TA's out to dinner twice this semester to "discuss business".  We pretty much just socialized the whole time - good times.

I think he knows me pretty well (well enough to write more than two small paragraphs).  In fact, I just gave him his gift (for writing the LOR) after class tonight (I almost didn't want to give it to him after seeing the LOR!).  Like I said, he is still a great guy though.

i dont think you have to worry about this LOR, i have seen much much worse.  HTH

uponcripplecreek

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2004, 12:21:47 AM »
While I can understand that it might not be up to your high expectations, it certainly isn't that poor of a recommendation and I think it can only help your applications.  I wouldn't fret about it too much. 

AMB22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2004, 12:22:46 AM »
Its not that bad. I think the two most important consideration are  1) does it add anything new that an adcomm would look favorably on that wont be in my other two recs? and 2) are the other two recs likely to be MUCH better?

If yes to 1 and no to 2 then you should send it.
If yes to both its a tossup IMO
If no to 1 and yes to 2 then you should make it inactive
If no to both its a tossup IMO

Sorry for writing that in such a weird way but thats the way I view it. I think it would help your situation a lot if you have read your other two LORs...it would help you evaluate what to do much better.

BAFF213

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2004, 12:23:51 AM »
Yea but I already have two other (presumably) good ones (possibly great).  Actually for my Dean's Letter, my Dean wrote me a (presumably good) LOR also.  So that's three LORS already for the four schools that requested a Dean's Letters.

No, but he's my thesis advisor for this entire year so we're actually working more closely with eachother than a teacher and student normally would.  We have got to know each other pretty well.  I'm a TA for his class too so we see each other all the time.  Also, he took myself and the four other TA's out to dinner twice this semester to "discuss business".  We pretty much just socialized the whole time - good times.

i dont think you have to worry about this LOR, i have seen much much worse.  HTH