Law School Discussion

"Method of Reasoning" questions

"Method of Reasoning" questions
« on: December 01, 2004, 05:30:19 PM »
Does anyone have a resource for the vocabulary used in the question type that asks you to identify the logical structure of an argument?  Example: Evidence is the same as a Premise.  I get too many of these questions wrong because I don't fully understand the vocabulary related to argument structure.  Any other thoughts about how to handle these questions.....?

gentoo

• Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
Re: "Method of Reasoning" questions
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 05:44:26 PM »
There is no resources for the vocab that I know of, since there are so many different possibilities. The best way to attack MOR questions is just simply through practice. Once technique I employed is the good ol' fashioned elimination technique. If there is a word I don't know in the answer choices, I will go through the others and eliminate those that are definetly wrong, then work with what's left. Usually, if there is a better choice, it will stick out more than the one with the weird vocab. If not, then the weird vocab choice is probably the answer. That's just what I do when I stumble upon weird wording, but do whatever works best for you. Good Luck!

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 06:06:21 PM »
actually there is a sort of explanation for all these if you will.
testmasters books lesson 10. also lr bible covers these and mor fallacies. i've seen some threads that have lr bible on pdf if you don't already have it.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 07:18:14 PM »
I have the lr bible, but I can't say that I noticed any specific list in the method of reasoning section.  Is there another place that I should look in the book?

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 07:33:25 PM »
i think if you go to ch.2 that may help. you need to be able to identify a conclusion, premise, subconclusion.

and the the abstract part of the answer "presupposes ..." etc. can be found in ch. 13, granted its to help identify flaws. But its similar in terms of the abstract terms lsat likes to throw around.

last review the end ch. of must be tru since mor answers have to be proven by whats written in the stimuls