Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I bother applying?  (Read 978 times)

Neub

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Should I bother applying?
« on: December 01, 2004, 06:38:28 PM »
First off, thanks to all of you that post all the time.  I have been using your advice and comments throughout my own application process and have just never bothered to register and participate. So thanks.

I have already applied to 9 schools and now I am thinking I wish I had applied to 2 more, Michigan and Georgetown.  Both would be reaches for me (158/166, 3.83) to begin with, but now it is sort of getting late in the game. I am multi-racial so I am not sure how I land as far as URM status.

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

-Neub

HKrustofsky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Should I bother applying?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 07:04:18 PM »
It's hard to give any meaningful advice without knowing anything else about you. Your LSAT scores are relatively low and I think those schools average multiple scores (not sure) but if you have a good story, other parts of your app are very strong, and you don't mind spending some $$, I say why not apply. It may not happen for you but at least you can give it a try and see what happens. Best of luck to you.

Neub

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 11:12:08 AM »
Thanks for the advice. 

As of this morning I am going to apply to just Michigan. I have an extra report left anyways and they sent me a letter inviting my application, (although with no fee waiver). So I'm hedging my bet and applying to one out of the two. I already applied to GW and American, so I have the DC area covered and won't feel too bad about not donating my application fee to Georgetown.

-Neub

murkydreamer

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 12:06:53 PM »
Neub,

I think you should give Georgetown a shot.  FYI, they don't average LSAT scores (direct from their website):

"Georgetown usually takes the highest LSAT score if you have taken the LSAT twice. Please address any mitigating circumstances you feel the committee should consider."

BigTex

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 12:28:21 PM »
Michigan accepted me with a measley 162 LSAT, but the rest of my app was pretty strong. Also, like you, i'm multi-racial (adopted, adoptive father hispanic). Not sure if they counted that as giving me URM status, but I definitely mentioned it in one of the UM essays. I'd say apply to Michigan. They definitely seem to take the whole app into consideration.

Neub

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 08:47:40 PM »
Thanks murky, after you posted I checked out their website and you were right on. That would definitely be a big boost if they would look at my highest score rather than my average. I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and apply.  Better than regretting it later. So I suppose I have something to work on tonight.

I transmitted my Michigan application today.  BigTex, I wrote an optional essay too on my multi-racial background, so hopefully that will add to my application. Michigan is obviously a great school, but I also like how it is a definite alternative to the east coast schools that have dominated my applications.

-Neub

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2004, 05:01:42 PM »
I'd say you've got nothing to lose by applying to G-town other than their outrageous application fee.  Why not go for it and see what happens?  If they don't accept you, its not the end of the world, but if they do then you've really got it all.  Why not take the chance?  If they give you a URM status then it seems to me that your chances aren't as bad as you seem to think they are.  Good luck!

Neub

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 12:14:41 AM »
Thanks laur...You are right that there is nothing to lose and I ended up applying to Georgetown. Just to make it extra painful, I not only had to pay the $75 application fee, but I had run out of reports so tack on another $12. The way I am looking at it is that $87 isn't really that bad to KNOW what would have happened..no "what ifs" to live with in the future. Its like a cheesy mastercard commercial "Applying = $87... Knowing = priceless".

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 03:55:46 PM »
Great!  I'm glad to hear that you decided to apply.  Sucks about the extra $12 though.  This application process is so f-ing expensive.

Neub

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2004, 04:11:57 PM »
Definitely is...I have had to cut back from chicken and beef ramen to just beef.