Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BOALT!!!  (Read 13512 times)

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: BOALT!!!
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2004, 04:03:53 PM »
yeah, tuition is essentially the same across the UC's.  boalt is an older school though; it was the first UC.  UCLA may have outgrown its space and been forced to build new buildings (like UCI is doing).  not sure about berkeley's growth.  are there new buildings, but they're just not for the law school?  i'm used to crappy buildings though.  UCI's were built in the 60's, with these tiny windows.  the library is really depressing (though the sciences got a new one that i love; spacious and quiet and NEW).  most of the classroom buildings are old and have no windows.  i don't think boalt would be a step down for me in terms of building quality.

and i thought you reversed the numbers too, but either way, top 50 over top 10 if you're talking about UCLA and boalt is still not a fair comparison.  #13 vs. #16.  hopefully we'll see a rise in rankings out of boalt with harvard's old dean there working his magic.

it would be great if i ended up going to UCLA since it's like 2 miles from where i live right now.  can't beat the location.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

maricutie

« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2004, 06:36:22 PM »

You're a URM?  If you don't want to say that's fine, but what's your ethnicity? 

Yeah, no prob -- Hispanic, although I get Persian and Indian all the time :)

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2004, 06:37:53 PM »
i'm persian.  i get hispanic and indian.   :D
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

GoHuskies05

« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2004, 06:39:56 PM »

You're a URM?  If you don't want to say that's fine, but what's your ethnicity? 

Yeah, no prob -- Hispanic, although I get Persian and Indian all the time :)

Awesome.  You can't really tell from a picture, but I honestly didn't get Hispanic from your picture.  When you said you were a URM, my first thought was Native American.  I'm awful at guessing ethnicity, so I stopped trying after some girl lectured me when I incorrectly asked her if she was Korean.  I don't know why people get so upset.  When people think I'm Thai or Hawaiian or whatever, I could care less.

ryanjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2004, 07:49:50 PM »
Your URM status definitely helped. It should result in an auto-accept at Michigan as well if the stats about their URM acceptance rates that were released at their supreme court trial hold true.

maricutie

« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2004, 08:11:03 PM »
Your URM status definitely helped. It should result in an auto-accept at Michigan as well if the stats about their URM acceptance rates that were released at their supreme court trial hold true.

I wouldn't say it's as simple as that, especially for Berkeley. I've mentioned this in a previous thread, so I'll keep it short here to avoid sounding like I'm tooting my own horn . I think what got me into Boalt was the fact that there was more to me than just the numbers AND the URM status. I worked through college, had several leadership positions in ECs, took challenging courses, have some WE, yada yada. All this while coming from a pretty difficult background. I don't think being Hispanic ALONE helped me out for Berkeley. They tend to care more about what that person brings to the table as a whole, rather than whether that person is going to be another number for their minority quota. I think this holds true for Michigan, but as a Berkeley alum I have more of an idea for Boalt.

For other schools, however, I'm sure URM status will help out. I don't give it as much credit as giving me "auto-admit" status at Michigan or anything, though ... in general, I have to admit I think the effect of being a URM is kinda exaggerated. But I will now quit hijacking the thread ... 

Pookie -- oh, isn't that ironic! Even Mexican ppl who come up to me have to ask me first if I speak spanish, whereas Persians and, to a lesser extent, Indians simply assume.

Lulu

« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2004, 08:14:03 PM »
You'll be fine for michigan. You're LSAT is a point above mine and your GPA is the same and I'm hispanic too- and had to work through college,etc. We are practically the same person   ;)

AMB22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2004, 08:26:50 PM »
I agree you'll be fine for Michigan. With your numbers, URM status and the other aspects you mention you maybe even find yourself with better offers than that. Either way, you'll be fine and good luck.

TLFKARG

« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2004, 08:45:26 PM »
Allow me to weigh in on the Boalt-UCLA discussion.  Obviously, I am a little biased, but here it goes:

The facilities at Boalt are far from impressive, but the professors, students, and the laid-back approach to 1L more than make up for that.  To me, what you're learning and how you're learning it, is far more important than the softness of the cushion under your ass.  The non-condecending demeanor of our professors and cooperative spirit of our student body is a rare and welcome find among law schools in general.  We have a manageable first semester curriculum (only 15 credit hours) and a forgiving curve.  Despite all that, Boalt 1L's fare quite well in the summer job market.

Especially if you are going into IP, Boalt is simply the more sensibile choice in terms of future opportunity.  Sure the hiring stats might be similar, but the fact that the legal profession is an elitist one and that reputation goes a long way remains.  UCLA, despite its fine facilities and finer weather, has never been considered a "top school" to the same degree as has Boalt. Although last year's difference in ranking implied only a marginal difference in quality, we have to remember that UCLA has never broken the top 14 ceiling and Boalt was ranked well inside the top 10 just a couple a few years ago.  The focus ought to be reputation/prestige, not rank.  The two are not always the same. Further, most of the top IP firms are in Northern California and they recruit more heavily at Boalt than any other school -- including Stanford.

I think the only good reason to take USC or UCLA over Boalt is financial.  If you get a substantial package at UCLA and Boalt doesn't give you a dime, going to UCLA could make sense.  Boalt does, after all, jack up its tuition every year with no signs of relief in sight.  (With my luck, we will be the first public school to break the 40k/year tuition mark.)

OK, that's my two (probably worthless) cents.  Carry on and Congrats again! ;D

maricutie

« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2004, 08:58:09 PM »
You'll be fine for michigan. You're LSAT is a point above mine and your GPA is the same and I'm hispanic too- and had to work through college,etc. We are practically the same person   ;)

I was thinking that myself when I saw your posts on another thread ... And I LOVE Shakira as well. Although, I have to admit, I love her better with the red dreadlocks/braids in her hair. :)