Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How Do You Apply To Law School?  (Read 448 times)

CamJansen

• View Profile
How Do You Apply To Law School?
« on: December 01, 2004, 01:53:46 PM »
Ok, I know this asking for a lot, but I sort of decided last minute to apply to law school this year. I am not entirely sure I understand how this process works and I could really use some advice because most of the FAQ sections on law school website aren't very specific.
I know there's a common application over at the LSAC website and I went ahead and registered to use that service. I took the LSAT in Oct. 03, so I've got my score. I have requested letters of rec from professors and should have 3 of them mailed in within the next 2 weeks. I have written a personal statement as well, and I am in the editing process for that.
My question is, how does this all work? Are there separate applications for each school with different essays... and my personal statement is just the one common one and I still have to write several more? How do I get a transcript sent in to the LSAC website? Is there a form I need to send out for that?
What is a checklist for a completed application? How do I go about sending out applications to schools?
Sorry for all of these questions, but I need a straightforward "This Is What You Need to Do in the next month" answer. Step 1 is obviously- take a deep breath.

AMB22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How Do You Apply To Law School?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 02:02:42 PM »
Basically you need an UG degree or (pending degree in the spring) and LSAT score and generally two LORs. Each school has a different application with some optional essays or requirements. You can apply to any school and view its application through the LSAC LSACD on the web. You also need a 2 page personal statement. Talk to your schools pre law advisor and search online for more specifics.

cali444

• Sr. Citizen
  • I, sir, am a lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 02:04:19 PM »
Wow.  You might want to consider waiting until next year when you have had more time to figure things out.  If you are determined to apply this year, go to LSAC.org and buy LSACD on the web.  All the applications are there online, and you have to fill them out individually.  LSDAS doesn't send out a complete app to every school or anything.  They just send them your transcripts and recommendations.  You have to send your personal statements and applications to each individual school.

CamJansen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 02:24:39 PM »
okay.. yeh, i already did that LSAC registration thing and purchased the service.
i have a degree. and my advisor is very helpful, but didn't really give me the specifics and he's pretty busy this time of year. i was hoping you guys could give me the specifics and the stuff i should be able to find in a FAQ section. a step by step process.
So far I've
1)Taken the LSAT
2)Graduated from College
3)Registered with the LSAC application service
4)Requested Letters of Rec from professors which are in process of being sent to LSAC
5)Written a Personal Statement...
i really don't think it's that impossible to apply this year. what do i need to do now? just go to the LSAC websites, download the applications for each school and write college specific essays? also, the transcript issue? do the schools request them from my ugrad or am i supposed to post one online somehow?

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 02:28:59 PM »
On the transcript issue:  get your school to send one to the LSAC.  I think there's a form online for this somewhere...http://os.lsac.org.

The LSAC is taking about a month to process transcripts, so go ahead and do this today if possible.  Pick out schools and apply now--any time after Christmas is usually pretty late.
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

cali444

• Sr. Citizen
  • I, sir, am a lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 02:34:03 PM »
You need to have every college you've ever attended (including community college in HS) send your transcripts to LSDAS.  There's a form that you get from LSDAS online and send to each college.  LSADA will collect your transcripts and create an academic report.  They'll also collect your recommendations and send them out to each law school where you apply.  

I think you're in better shape than I originally thought (especially since your PS is done).  You should work on your applications every day and try to have them all submitted by, say, December 10 or 15.  Applying early increases your admission chances somewhat. It looks like you'll be okay.  Good luck!

CamJansen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 02:36:15 PM »
where is this elusive form on the LSAC website?... this *&^% is soo tough to navigate.
anybody have a link?

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!