Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where does your bf/gf/spouse/mom/dad/kid want you to go and why?  (Read 3737 times)

Trel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Where does your bf/gf/spouse/mom/dad/kid want you to go and why?
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2004, 04:41:47 PM »
Florida's hot, humid, rainy, and has an intelligence level that has best been described by Tucker Max, check out his webpage btw it's pretty damn funny, as somewhere above functionally retarded.  Plus for people with allergies, like me, it's hell.  The only decent months down here are nov/dec/jan. 

This may come off as slightly cynical, but I'd suggest to everyone who may be basing their law school decision on what their bf/gf wants, that you seriously reconsider.  Of course if you're married/engaged you need to take your SO's opinion into account, but for those of you just graduating from college, aka in your early 20s and met your SO fairly recently (less than 2 years)...chances are you're not going to be with the same person 5-10 years down the road, while your choice of law school could very well stick with you for your entire career.  I almost made that mistake when I was in undergrad, and I'm very glad now that I didn't.  People change a lot as they grow up, especially between 20-30, and law school also tends to change people as well. 
You can see my numbers at LSN

mjb691

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2004, 10:35:43 AM »
Florida's hot, humid, rainy, and has an intelligence level that has best been described by Tucker Max, check out his webpage btw it's pretty damn funny, as somewhere above functionally retarded. Plus for people with allergies, like me, it's hell. The only decent months down here are nov/dec/jan.

Agreed. Everyone talks about how fabulous the climate here is in Florida, but that is because they visit in February. Try six months of 90+ degrees and 90+% humidity and see how you like it. I also heard a quote that Florida is a place filled with people too warped to live in California. Very true, especially in the Redneck Capital of the Universe here in North Florida.

Despite this, my brother loves FL, and would like me to stay here. He is too cool to say this, but I think he would like for his older brother to join him at UF Law, especially since he would be the wizzened upperclassman.

The older of my two sisters, who lives in NYC, would be very fired up for me to go to Columbia or NYU, but Columbia in particular, because of the name.

My younger sister was very disappointed I didn't apply to Harvard, since that's where she wants to go for UG some day. She's convinced I will get in everywhere and be deluged with cash and should stop worrying.

My parents are the masters of providing no insight and then loudly supporting whatever decision is made after the fact, as if they had a hand in it. Mom has made comments about the cost of private schools, so I guess that means pro-UF. Dad has always had a thing for Penn, since he grew up in PA and Penn was where the rich kids went when he was a kid.

Mike
ATTENDING: Penn
IN: WUSTL, Fordham, Illinois, Minnesota, Florida, Temple
THE REST: Doesn't matter

mercutio_13

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2004, 10:43:15 AM »
especially in the Redneck Capital of the Universe here in North Florida

I'm sorry, but that title goes to Branson, MO.

Anyone who has been there will back me up on this one.

Trel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2004, 12:29:49 PM »
My parents are the masters of providing no insight and then loudly supporting whatever decision is made after the fact, as if they had a hand in it.
Mike

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has experienced this phenomenon.  When I initially thought about pre-med, my parents said they always thought it was a great idea, when I changed to ibanking, the same thing.  Now that I'm applying to law school, I hear how they've been telling me since I was little that I should go into law and it's the best path for me.  It drives me batty. 
You can see my numbers at LSN

operatke

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2004, 02:14:54 PM »
especially in the Redneck Capital of the Universe here in North Florida

I'm sorry, but that title goes to Branson, MO.

Anyone who has been there will back me up on this one.

I vote for Branson...any self respecting redneck has made a pilgramage there at least twice in his/hers/it's lifetime.  It is a mecca for all that is and ever will be redneck!

My parents are just glad I am not trying to make it in the opera world anymore!  They don't care where I go, just as long as I go, although they are very excited I am going to Baylor.

James Neutron

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2004, 11:32:15 AM »
my parents want me to go to penn since its close.  my gf wants me to go somewhere she also gets into for a different grad program.  i dont think my siblings or anyone else cares that much

matt510

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2004, 11:56:18 AM »
Spouse: Anywhere in the Pacific Northwest.
Mother-in-Law: University of Tennessee (to her it's Harvard).
Father-in-Law: Doesn't have an opinion.
Mom: Has no idea I am applying to law school. She tends to talk ... to EVERYONE, so I am waiting until I decide where to go.
Mutts: Anywhere with a backyard.

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2004, 12:36:18 PM »
Parents - Anywhere in Texas, and they push Baylor a lot for some reason.  However, when it comes down to it, I know they won't be too pushy.

GF - Again, anywhere in Texas. However, she is starting to like Notre Dame simply because she wants to me to convert to Catholicism...

PsychJK

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2004, 01:39:20 PM »
Husband
Refuses to acknowledge positive or negative feelings toward any school lest he somehow alter my perceptions and influence my decision.  "I'll support any choice, but this is a decision you have to make about what's best for you.  We'll be fine if we go to any of those places."  Sweet, yes, but not much help!

In-Laws
Cornell b/c it's only an hour away.  Mother-in-law calls frequently to ask whether I've been accepted yet even though I lied and said I wouldn't hear until April.

Dad
Law school.  That's enough.

Mom
Notre Dame - the only one in my home state
Accepted: GULC, Duke, USC, NYU, UPenn, UVA, UMich, Cornell, Notre Dame, Vandy, UChicago
Pending:Columbia
Deferred: HLS

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=PsychJK

mcleod13

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2004, 07:34:15 AM »
I think I have you all beat on this one. I am stuck in a situation I wouldn't place on anyone.

I have a 3 year old son who is adored by his grandparents and they spoil him to death. They want me to go to SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY so I can be close and they can see him all the time.

My wife wants me to go to CALI or FL for law school. Doesn't matter which, as long as it isn't in Illinois. I wouldn't mind this at all. But she wants me to leave without her for the first year. She says I can study for the first year and have NO distractions. I am like OK.

If I go outside of IL, I take the chance on hurting my parents who have helped me out alot recently. But If I stay, I risk going insane in IL!!

Plus since I just left the military, I get to go to Law School for free here for the first 1.5 years. So It is a matter of being 15 k in debt and being stuck where I don't want to be, or being 120k in debt and loving where I am at.