Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What about this situation?  (Read 541 times)

eklmu

• View Profile
What about this situation?
« on: December 01, 2004, 02:34:39 AM »
Say you are applying to a law school that's affiliated with the undergraduate univeristy you graduated from. Do you feel this has any, if at all, influence on how they review your application?

kernelgt

Re: What about this situation?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 05:25:52 AM »
If you're mediocre or worse for your school, it will probably hurt you.  Conversely, if you did well, and your other numbers support it, it will probably help you.

Comm-Law

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 09:50:35 AM »
From what I've read, many law schools shy away from alumni candidates.  They like to show diversity in their student body and picking up too many undergrad from their affiliated university doesn't show well in their statistics. 

Of course, that didn't stop me from applying to my undergrad for it's law school.

Good Luck!
- Comm-Law

BIG H2001

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 02:18:09 PM »
As long as you have comparable numbers, I don't see why it should be any different than anywhere else you apply for law school. The whole "increasing diversity" argument doesn't stand up in certain circumstances. For example, if you are a URM and applied to a law school affiliated with your undergrad how could they deny you on the basis of "diversity."  This is where increasing diversity becomes a slippery slope.  If you have the numbers, you should get in.  Ultimately the school will admit enough "diverse" candidates and they are not likely to get so many applications from those that attended the undergrad schools there to override their diversity rankings.  Either way, it's mainly about the numbers.  If you have them, you stand a chance, if you don't you're not getting in.

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 02:20:12 PM »
I think being in-state helps if you are applying to a public school, regardless of whether or not you went there for undergrad.
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

katestorm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 02:33:57 PM »
I think each school is different, but for the most part if your undergrad school would choose a canidate from a diff. school before you with the same numbers.

A_guy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 02:50:32 PM »
each school is different and the best way is to get in touch with the school.  only they can give u a somewhat reliable answer.  anything i can give u is just speculation.  based on things i have heard about some schools.