Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Use the same personal statement?  (Read 659 times)

mira_j

• View Profile
Use the same personal statement?
« on: April 14, 2004, 08:42:46 PM »
Hi,
So far things are not looking good for me as far as admissions... :'( :'( :'(. It seems like I have to retake the LSAT and apply again in the fall. Do you think that I can use the same personal statement even if I am applying to the same schools? I am pretty sure that my low LSAT killed me, but of course I don't know that as a fact. I really like my statement...

Thanks

Mira

ruskiegirl

Re: Use the same personal statement?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 08:52:25 PM »
I wouldn't recommend it.  If you are going to take a year off, make good use of the time.  Make yourself more interesting and attractive as an applicant. If you know what area of law you might like to go into, try getting an internship or a part-time job that will make you more familiar with that field. Then, when you write your NEW personal statement, you can cite those new experiences.  The last thing you want is for an ad comm officer to realize that you applied with the same personal statement after taking a year off.  (I realize there's a small chance something like that could happen, but you never know.) You want to show that even though your LSAT score was not that great, you have much to offer from your unique life experiences.  Best of luck to you!

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 10:37:07 PM »
I doubt anyone is going to remember your personal statement from the 1000+ others that they read (or maybe didn't even read). I would agree with ruskiegirl that it would look very strong to describe your faulter the previous year and how you "reinvented" yourself and learned from your experience. Yadda - yaddda - yadda.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

xrayspec

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 11:29:56 AM »
Unless your LSAT stays the same. Then the 'reinvention' angle is more difficult.  ;)