Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Predictions anyone?  (Read 564 times)

Comm-Law

• View Profile
Predictions anyone?
« on: November 30, 2004, 11:55:57 PM »
I'm about to send out apps and I thought I'd see what people think of my chances.

LSAT 160 / GPA 2.78 / Degree 2.95
Graduated in 1993... yes 93 not 03!

Over 11 years working in Information Technology.
Over 8 years experience as a managing partner of a regional internet service provider.
I'm seeking to pursue a law degree to practice Communication Law (as extension of my current career).

Here's my list:

Case Western
Catholic University
George Mason
IIT Kent
Indiana University - Bloomington
Michigan State University
Northern Illinois University
Southern Methodist
Univ. of Illinois
Univ. of Texas
Univ. of Toledo
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest

I realize that my GPA is LOW... VERY LOW for law school.  If in 1989, someone had told me that I would someday be applying to law school, I would have laughed.  It wasn't in the plan.  I was a computer-guru before most people knew what to do with a computer... law was very far from my mind.  Things change, people's interests change, will the ad-coms see it?

- Comm-Law

shortckt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rambling Wreck
    • View Profile
Re: Predictions anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 12:22:46 AM »
You should compare your #s with the LSAC website.
No idea of your chances, but I did read on several books with quotes from AdComms that for mature applicants out of school for long time (9 years certainly is a long time), the GPA is less important.  This of course means that your LSAT # is even more important.

Also, you may want to use your PS to sell yourself to the AdComm by telling them that you are not the same kid with the low GPA.  You have had a sucessful career, accomplished tangible things, etc.
When #s are not good, you have to do your best to show that you are more than just #s.
So, I hope your PS is fantastic
And good luck.

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 12:29:03 AM »
I think you'll do well. I have heard only good things from AdComms regarding non-traditional applicants. I would suggest applying to a few more safety schools in your local area PT. You can always work and earn your JD then just make a move within your company. For people with such employment history and stability, it seems to really pay off. My boyfriend's dad is a paralegal and just started law school at 50+, his office is already making plans to hire him as a full attorney when he passes the bar in a few years. This is a great way to go, especially if you want to retire at a decent age.

NYKnicks

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 12:32:23 AM »
IIT Kent
Catholic University
Univ. of Toledo
Southern Methodist

Your chances are decent at those

Case Western

A bit of a stretch, but I can see you getting into these.

George Mason
Univ. of Illinois
Univ. of Texas
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest

You are pushing it a bit here, but I assume these are the reaches.

If you have a chance, you shoudl really retake the LSAT and get a higher score. With your background it could make you a more solid candidate.

I am like you, I graduated from engineering in 04 with a crappy gpa (2.9), but I made sure I did well on the LSAT to give myself a fighting chance.

Good luck to you!

Comm-Law

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 09:58:39 AM »
Thanks for the guesses.... It reaffirms what I was expecting.

Safeties
-------------------------
Univ. of Toledo
Case Western

Maybes
------------------
Southern Methodist
IIT Kent
Catholic University
Univ. of Illinois

Big Reach
------------
George Mason
Univ. of Texas
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest

I actually started my undergrad in engineering and that's where most of the lousy grades hit me!

- Comm-Law

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 10:52:56 AM »
I think that's a good breakdown.  You'll definitley get in somewhere.  Are you planning on doing IP law?
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

Comm-Law

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 10:04:59 PM »
I think that's a good breakdown.  You'll definitley get in somewhere.  Are you planning on doing IP law?

I'd answer a qualified yes.  Depending on the school, it will either be IP, Communications Law, or Tech Law.