Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: how many recommendations should you send in?  (Read 567 times)

Llama

• View Profile
how many recommendations should you send in?
« on: November 30, 2004, 11:26:25 PM »
All of the schools I'm applying either recommend but don't require recommendations, or only require 1 recommendation (they're also all for the part-time program). Does anyone think that it's really ok to send just one? I'm wondering if it's an unwritten rule to send more (like 'optional' essays). I have one good recommendation already, but I'm wondering if I should ask another professor for one. The only reason I'm hesitating is that since I'm currently getting my Masters in Electrical Engineering, the vast majority of my professors have horrible English and writing skills, so I'm thinking that additional LoRs would be sort of 'blah.'

midlife catharsis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: how many recommendations should you send in?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 12:54:15 AM »
Send as many as the schools allow provided that you are confident that they will be strong.  I think most "highly serious" applicants have 3 or even 4 LORs. 

If you're not sure about a potential recommender, you may want to ask her/him point blank whether they believe that your performance warrants an excellent recommendation that will help you get into [insert target school(s)].

AMB22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 12:56:40 AM »
The only reason I'm hesitating is that since I'm currently getting my Masters in Electrical Engineering, the vast majority of my professors have horrible English and writing skills, so I'm thinking that additional LoRs would be sort of 'blah.'

you'd be surprised with some academics....I was worried about one of my Eco professors for the same reason but when I gave him an update of my admits today he pulled up the letter to see what he wrote and it seemed really good...

Llama

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 04:02:45 AM »
The only reason I'm hesitating is that since I'm currently getting my Masters in Electrical Engineering, the vast majority of my professors have horrible English and writing skills, so I'm thinking that additional LoRs would be sort of 'blah.'

you'd be surprised with some academics....I was worried about one of my Eco professors for the same reason but when I gave him an update of my admits today he pulled up the letter to see what he wrote and it seemed really good...

Engineering professors live in a different world though :) Most of them are foreign too, and most of them have pretty poor English skills. I like the professors and they like me, but I'm worried about their non-technical writing skills.

midlife catharsis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 04:09:39 AM »

Engineering professors live in a different world though :) Most of them are foreign too, and most of them have pretty poor English skills. I like the professors and they like me, but I'm worried about their non-technical writing skills.

Your situation may present an ideal oppty for you to write the letters yourself, or to collaborate with your professors.  Offer to write a draft letter for them... They certainly do not want to come accross as semi-literate to law school adcomms, and they may welcome your direct involvement.