Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tell Me What Schools I Should Go To. Please.  (Read 652 times)

CamJansen

• View Profile
Tell Me What Schools I Should Go To. Please.
« on: November 30, 2004, 08:56:00 PM »
I've been doing some research on my own, but I would hate to put all of your brilliant minds to waste.
I got a 3.28 GPA as an undegraduate at Duke University.
I got a 155 on the LSAT.
I'm from Virginia.
I am interested in Intellectual Property law, technology, civil rights, entertainment, etc. but I do not want to use these interests as determining factors of what school to attend... only added bonuses to those schools that might autonomously appear on my list.
What 10 schools should I apply to?
Thank you so much in advance for helping me figure out where I might have a chance to get in.

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Tell Me What Schools I Should Go To. Please.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 09:10:21 PM »
60-80% of applicants at the following schools are within your range:

1.   Chapman University School of Law
2.   DePaul University College of Law
3.   Florida Coastal School of Law
4.   Hofstra University School of Law
5.   Loyola University New Orleans School of Law
6.   Marquette University Law School
7.   Pace University School of Law
8.   University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law
9.   Stetson University College of Law
10.   Suffolk University Law School
11.   Thomas Jefferson School of Law
12.   Valparaiso University School of Law
13.   Vermont Law School

I don't think any of them are known for IP or entertainment law. A safety for IP could be Whittier. Southwestern is good for entertainment law. Loyola LA would be a reach but is good for both.

(You can get this info from LSAC.com. Use the data search.)

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 09:12:02 PM »
Ok I'm certainly no expert, and I'm not sure how willing you are to relocate, so I picked only schools in the Northeast and DC.  Here are my picks

UDC-safety
Widener-safety
Duquesne-safety
Hofstra-target
New York Law School-target
Catholic-target
Seton Hall-target
Pitt-reach
Villanova-reach
St. John's-reach

Good Luck!

Thor

• Sr. Citizen
  • God of Thunder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 09:21:52 PM »
Well, you are asking for a bit of work on our parts, especially since you give no information such as whether you want to stay on the east coast, etc. Thus while I won't offer 10 schools you should apply to, I will give you a few pretty good IP schools (because that is my area of interest as wel) that you should have a shot at.

Chicago-Kent (a reach but certainly not out of the question)
DePaul (another Chicago school. Probably a decent target school)
John Marshall Law School (Chicago again. Solid prospect)

Santa Clara (California. Great IP program. Deffinately a reach, but with a strong ap, you have a chance)
Franklin Pierce (New Hampshire I think. Good IP rep. You should be competative).

These are the ones I know about, there are probably a couple more. In most cases, you are on the lower end of "probable admit," but I don't doubt you could get into at least a couple of these. Hope this helps
I'm not Thor on LSN

CamJansen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 12:27:54 AM »
Thanks for all of the input so far. I know it's a bit of work, given that I did not give you perfect information based on my preferences. I did this intentionally, so I would get a wide range of responses.
I wouldn't mind relocating, but I am hoping to find something closer.
Keep the suggestions coming! Thank you so much in advance.

imtheantelope

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 10:47:43 AM »
just to add to supermoni's post... Seton Hall will actually be a reach with your numbers (not that you shouldnt apply anyway).  They have really changed their admission criteria over the past few years and are now looking for 158-161/2. 

http://law.shu.edu/administration/admissions/entering_class_profile.htm

Good luck.
Accepted: Suffolk, Albany$, New York Law$, Hofstra$, Touro$
Waitlisted:  Brooklyn, Northeastern, Villanova, American
Denied: Fordham, Temple
ATTENDING: ST JOHNS

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=imtheantelope

Duntov

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 02:36:19 PM »
U Baltimore - add that to your list.
Penn State - Dickinson
West Virginia

UDC = Not ABA approved or maybe they have conditional...even still, not worth it since you could go elsewhere.  Apply to Howard first but they practice reverse discrimination...if you are white, forget about it now.  Not the case with the previous Dean but this one, it is.  On the plus, you may get a free ride since you would be a minority.  Go figure.

With those numbers, you really should have completed your apps a month ago unless you just took the LSAT?  Weak numbers = apply early. 
Accepted:  Rutgers - Newark, Denver, UMKC, Suffolk, New England, Creighton, Vermont, Valpo with $18K/year, Golden Gate
Rejected: DePaul, GW, Mason, Richmond

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 02:45:10 PM »
U Baltimore - add that to your list.
Penn State - Dickinson
West Virginia

UDC = Not ABA approved or maybe they have conditional...even still, not worth it since you could go elsewhere.  Apply to Howard first but they practice reverse discrimination...if you are white, forget about it now.  Not the case with the previous Dean but this one, it is.  On the plus, you may get a free ride since you would be a minority.  Go figure.

With those numbers, you really should have completed your apps a month ago unless you just took the LSAT? Weak numbers = apply early.

I don't know where you got your info from, but as far as I know UDC is ABA approved (it's on the LSAC website if you want to check it ou).

Duntov

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 03:00:45 PM »
uhh...

"ACCREDITATION: The School of Law is provisionally accredited by the American Bar Association and applied for full accreditation in 2004. With provisional approval, students and graduates are entitled to the same recognition given to students and graduates of fully approved law schools. More information about the grant of approval to the University of the District of Columbia David A. Clarke School of Law, and about the accreditation process generally, can be found on the ABAís web site at www.abanet.org/legaled or by contacting the Council of the Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar of the American Bar Association, 750 North Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, Illinois 60611-4497. The Sectionís telephone number is (312) 988-6738."

That's a big difference from the full ABA approval (read: if they lose even the provisonal approval, you have a pretty worthless degree..just more so).  Pays to research a school.  I knew it was one or the other...
Accepted:  Rutgers - Newark, Denver, UMKC, Suffolk, New England, Creighton, Vermont, Valpo with $18K/year, Golden Gate
Rejected: DePaul, GW, Mason, Richmond