Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MD and JD  (Read 1763 times)

Roy

MD and JD
« on: February 04, 2003, 03:49:50 PM »
Hello,

I am currently in med school, and was wondering if anyone had ANY info or could point me to a reputable web-resource so that I may acquire info about applying to law school after I get my MD and finish my residency training?

-Would I have to take the LSAT upon graduating from Med school, or do you think most law schools will allow me to submit my Med school credentials in order to expedite the admissions process?

Thanks!

Pun

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: MD and JD
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2003, 03:58:53 AM »
Hey Roy, I am planning on doing the same thing: MD/JD; however, I want to attend Law school before Med school. To answer your question, upon completing your MD you will have to write the LSAT and you will be applying as any other student applying to law school. However, a few U.S. schools have programs that allow you to earn a JD/MD at the same time. Minnesota, Seton Hall, and Case Western offer a JD/MD program. To be accepted you must be admitted from both the school of law and the school of medicine. In other words, you have to satisfy both schools entrance requirments: MCAT, and LSAT. I don't know how long you plan on being a student but you should investigate the MD/JD joint degree program as it may save you some time. Good luck with your studies.

ghosty

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2003, 03:36:46 PM »
I'm just curious, what would be the purpose of getting these two advanced degrees?  It just sounds like too much school.

Roy

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2003, 07:58:29 PM »
Pun,

Thank you for your reply. Its somewhat late for me to apply to joint programs as I am already in my 1st year of medical school. Med school is already quite rough, but I enjoy law and would like to experience these joys in my lifetime. To answer the question by ghosty: there are many career paths one may take with an MD/JD. A popular area is patent law in pharmaceutics, malpractice (which I hear is quite boring), or, you may be the physician who can provide himself/herself with the proper legal knowledge in MEDICAL practice. I dont know how many people do any of these things, as my research has been quite limited (due to somewhat limited resources). Anyone know alternate websites for discussion of law/lawschool? Thanks again!

snickerdoodle

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2003, 02:48:16 PM »
Other board with more (if less mature people) that discusses law school is www.princetonreview.com/law and for an older more mature bunch with great things to say www.nontradlaw.com