Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accept Any Offers Yet?  (Read 3257 times)

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Accept Any Offers Yet?
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2004, 12:17:32 PM »
Why don't y'all just go ahead and get married?  That's why my fiance and I are getting married.  I mean, we would eventually, but it makes a whole lot more sense to now.
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2004, 12:48:46 PM »
Because we're not engaged yet, since he's still in school, and we're both saving to move, so we have no money for a ring (which, in a much larger sense, translates into: we have no money for a wedding)

And the thought of eloping just doesn't sit well with me.  I've always wanted to share my "big day" with family and friends.  I want the big princessy wedding gown.  And we're both only children, so it's not like our parents can watch another sibling have a big wedding. We also have too many family members that would be very upset not to see us get married.

So I'm happy to wait, because it's what we would rather do, both for ourselves and our families.

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2004, 01:59:32 PM »
I understand.  Although, once you get where I am (T-2 weeks and counting!) you'll wish you'd eloped. ::)
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

BIG H2001

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2004, 02:10:13 PM »
I'm also in the same boat as you, Jacy.  We're actually planning to get engaged soon but since she is still in school we will probably wait until after my 2nd year of law school to get married.  I see you're applying to UNC and Wake as well, so maybe you'll know someone at LS who understands your situation.  :)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2004, 02:41:57 PM »
I'm also in the same boat as you, Jacy. We're actually planning to get engaged soon but since she is still in school we will probably wait until after my 2nd year of law school to get married. I see you're applying to UNC and Wake as well, so maybe you'll know someone at LS who understands your situation. :)

:)  That would be good!

Although the fact that other people are now saying the same thing and are in similar situations makes me feel a bit better about the whole thing.

And mfitz, I hear most people say the same thing approaching their wedding.  If you don't wish you eloped, you're probably doing somethign wrong!  :D  I'm sure everything will go well though!

forkids

• Maddie baddie, boo-boo!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - January26
    • View Profile
    • Check out the numbers!
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2004, 11:06:04 PM »
sara, Jacy...

I'm there too.  So is coming with me and I am "stratigically applying" to cities where he can get a good job.  I moved twice in the past two years for his Master's program as well as a good career move, so it is his turn and he is totally ok with it.  As for engagement/wedding, who knonws.  we talk about it but I can't imagine the stress of planning a wedding during this three years.

I have a friend who is a DA (graduated from LS a few years ago) and said something to me like "most couples who get married before law school don't last."  I think this is another of those fear-factor rumors that fly around so much.  It was scary to hear that, but sounds like everyone has good, solid relationships that will make it.

I think there will be a good amount of us "committeds", which is ok.  Plus being around married couples as well as singles will allow us to see both other extremes, which is always good. And anyone who is a hard worker, respectful, and fun to chat with over a beer is a-ok with me.

Good luck on the impending weddings, just try to enjoy this time!
Badger Law '08! :)

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2004, 11:18:24 PM »
Hey, I'm in your group, too. We've been living together for 2 years. Plan to be married before I start school but not until after I file my FAFSA. We're trying to time it to get the best financial aid. (It would also be great to get "family" housing where available.) With me as single, I'll be quite eligible for aid. For the 2006-2007 school year, with us married, the aid will be about the same.

Good points about the "family" housing.  It almost makes me with my bf and I were married before school, instead of after, since I am a little worried about him having a "support group" to deal with me being in law school.  But then I remember that he's really great at meeting people and making friends, so hopefully things will go smoothly.

And this is totally off topic, but I feel like it might be a little easier for married couples to survive law school.  Since I'm in a serious relationship, but not engaged/married yet, I don't quite know if I'll feel like I "fit in" with other married law students.  Likewise, I definitely don't fit the more common "let's go out and get drunk and hook up" single law students.  So I hope there's plenty of other people like me out there, who are sort of in-between.