Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accept Any Offers Yet?  (Read 3291 times)

adverseeffect

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Accept Any Offers Yet?
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 04:51:58 PM »
oooh, i can be the third one in your "serious, but not engaged/married" group.  part of me really wants a ring, but then i realize that we can get through it without it and its not really what either of us want.  good luck to us all!

adverseeffect

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004, 04:54:11 PM »
oh and big contrats tex! 

BigTex

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2004, 04:58:06 PM »
oh and big contrats tex! 

thanks. is your SO following you to law school? And a question for those in the category defined above by adverse: if your SO is willing to make a big sacrifice and follow you to law school, aren't yall *basically* planning on getting married? I mean, that kind of demonstrated commitment seems like a lot for someone still in the boyfriend/girlfriend category.

adverseeffect

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2004, 05:03:36 PM »
boyfriend might transfer to the east coast to be closer to me, but its something he wants to do anyway.  detroit to nyc is closer than detroit to cali, but he doesn't want to move to detroit.  i'm not sure how old you are, but we're both just starting our careers and don't want to make sacrifices that we may regret in the long run.  for example, i might get into georgetown and we both could live together in dc, but i would rather go to mich and he would rather i go to michigan and be happy.  i think we'll get married after i finish law school if we are still together.  i think it is great that your wife wants to come with you, its just not something we are ready to do yet! hope this post wasn't offensive, i know this is a very touchy topic.

Lulu

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2004, 05:25:28 PM »
Hey Tex-

How do you log onto the Mich admitted students site? I can't find the info anywhere in my admitted students stuff, and I don't want to call them needlessly :)

BigTex

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2004, 05:49:14 PM »
Hey Tex-

How do you log onto the Mich admitted students site? I can't find the info anywhere in my admitted students stuff, and I don't want to call them needlessly :)

There was a little postcard in the package. On the back of the postcard it had a login/password. However, the login/password was not specific to me. Just a generic login/password every admitted student would use.

When I opened the package I was walking back to my house from the mailbox. It was a massively windy day. The postcard went flying down the street as I went chasing after it for almost a whole block!

newy

• Sr. Citizen
  • HLS 2008
    • View Profile
    • newy@lsn
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2004, 10:44:37 AM »
Me too... I'm headed off to LS with my bf of 3 years in tow and no plans of marriage anytime soon.  I really do want to make lots of friends at LS, so I hope my situation is socially acceptable.

Since I'm in a serious relationship, but not engaged/married yet, I don't quite know if I'll feel like I "fit in" with other married law students.

By the way, does anyone know offhand if you need to be actually married for student family housing, or if domestic partnership is enough?  I'm a big fan of marriages of convenience.

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2004, 10:46:23 AM »
At U of South Carolina you have to be married...but you can request a male roommate in the grad dorm system.
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2004, 11:23:32 AM »
thanks. is your SO following you to law school? And a question for those in the category defined above by adverse: if your SO is willing to make a big sacrifice and follow you to law school, aren't yall *basically* planning on getting married? I mean, that kind of demonstrated commitment seems like a lot for someone still in the boyfriend/girlfriend category.

Yes, we are planning on getting engaged and married, but I'm just worried that there will be the abundance of single/dating but not serious law students, and quite a few "married with kids" law students, but not so many of the "planning on getting married to SO/just recently got married to the SO" people, which is where I think I fit.

The thing is, I'd rather be in a study group with married/committed people who understand in a different way the necessity to manage time well and when I say, "I can't meet tonight, as I've been neglectful of my partner and need to spend some time with them" they won't get all pissy about it.

Sportseditor23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2004, 11:59:09 AM »
I will be in the same boat as you Jacy,

You can't get accepted to a school if you don't apply

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Sportseditor23