Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accept Any Offers Yet?  (Read 3147 times)

BigTex

Accept Any Offers Yet?
« on: November 30, 2004, 05:50:11 PM »
Anyone accept an offer of admission yet?

I've received one offer of admission. Don't think I can do any better. Am about to send in my $300 deposit. One question struck me though. If I send in my deposit this early, will the adcom response be:

"Oh, this guy REALLY wants to go here. He'll come regardless of scholarships/grants. So let's not offer him any and give it to someone who's on the fence instead."

The above is, basically, a correct analysis of my situation, but i'm wondering if adcoms are really this cold and calculating.

BTW, i'm motivated to send in my deposit as soon as possible because I want to secure the family housing I'll need.

GoHuskies05

Re: Accept Any Offers Yet?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 05:55:05 PM »
Did you apply to any schools better than Michigan?  Why don't you just wait?  Why does it matter if you get your Deposit in early?  Anyway, I think it is very wise to strong arm money from the schools.  I have some anecdotal evidence of this working out nicely. 

Congrats again on Big Blue.

BigTex

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 06:12:27 PM »
Did you apply to any schools better than Michigan?  Why don't you just wait?  Why does it matter if you get your Deposit in early?  Anyway, I think it is very wise to strong arm money from the schools.  I have some anecdotal evidence of this working out nicely. 

Congrats again on Big Blue.

Thanks. Kind of a catch-22 situation. I can't "get in line" for family housing until I send in my deposit. But family housing is doled out on a first-come-first-served basis. So, there's a compelling reason for me to send in my deposit now (my wife would be *really* ornary w/ me if we don't get the apartment we had in mind). But sending in the deposit now demonstrates an element of desperation that would probably turn off the scholarship/grant spigot.

Though I did apply to HYS, in all seriousness - Michigan is the best i'll fare.

Just keep repeating: "I'm very fortunate to have this dilemma, I'm very fortunate to have this dilemma, ...".

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 08:09:00 PM »
Go ahead and send in your deposit.  Your first seat deposit is in no way binding, as far as I can tell.  In the spring, those people on waitlists will be begging people ro release their "extra" spots at schools they don't plan on attending.

Things are never signed in blood, since techincally, you can be ready to show up for orientation in the morning, and get a call that a spot at your top choice opened up, and if you show up tomorrow, you can get in. (not that you'd do that with a wife/family, but it shows that you can pay now, and change your mind later)

After all, in the great scheme of things, it's *only* $300 I suppose.  ;)

BigTex

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 09:31:59 PM »
Thanks for the advice jacy. I just dropped the deposit in the mail. I'm not sure how it will affect my scholarship/grant chances, but it's only money. In the end, my wife deserves the comfort and peace of mind of knowing we'll have nice family housing all locked up. I'm basically drop-kicking her out into the middle of freakin nowhere. It's really a no-brainer  once I thought about it some more.

vmersich

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 09:50:11 PM »
BigTex:

Why do you want the family housing so bad?  It is not that good of a deal, and Ann Arbor is a rather safe place (so there is little need to stay on campus for family safety reasons). 

Excuse me if this is addressed earlier in the thread and I just overlooked it.

BigTex

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 10:01:54 PM »
BigTex:

Why do you want the family housing so bad?  It is not that good of a deal, and Ann Arbor is a rather safe place (so there is little need to stay on campus for family safety reasons). 

Excuse me if this is addressed earlier in the thread and I just overlooked it.

My wife really wants to get into the family housing for the following reasons:

She did a lot of research (much more than me) and informed me there really seems to be a nice community of like-minded people in the family housing. Newsletter. Lots of kids and communal play areas for the kids. Also, there's bound to be many other spouses in her same situation - i.e. following the UM admittee to law/grad school and making a sacrifice so the other can pursue his/her dream. So, there will be lots of people within walking distance for her to talk with and share a common experience with. Also, the area will be ripe with "babysitting swapping" opportunities. We'll all be on a budget, so: you babysit my kid Friday night and I'll babysit your kid Saturday night.

Although we could get a similiar deal financially off-campus, it seems we would miss out on all these 'soft' factors. And since my wife is making an incredible sacrifice to allow me to pursue a dream, there's just no way I could do anything jeapordize securing the family housing per her request.

Are you familiar w/ the area Viva? Are we overlooking something? Normally we'd fly up there and look together, but since she's 5.5 months pregnant that kinda nixes that.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 10:32:18 PM »
Good points about the "family" housing.  It almost makes me with my bf and I were married before school, instead of after, since I am a little worried about him having a "support group" to deal with me being in law school.  But then I remember that he's really great at meeting people and making friends, so hopefully things will go smoothly.

And this is totally off topic, but I feel like it might be a little easier for married couples to survive law school.  Since I'm in a serious relationship, but not engaged/married yet, I don't quite know if I'll feel like I "fit in" with other married law students.  Likewise, I definitely don't fit the more common "let's go out and get drunk and hook up" single law students.  So I hope there's plenty of other people like me out there, who are sort of in-between.

BigTex

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 10:48:12 PM »
Well Jacy - that looks like a fine young man standing next to you in your avatar. You best make an honest man out of that boy and marry him straight away!

But seriously, I am VERY fortunate to have a loving and supportive wife willing to put up with such a humongous change. I tell her every day "You know hun, I really couldn't have made a better selection than you". If it weren't for her I wouldn't risk going up to Michigan alone w/ no support - i'd stay here in texas w/ everything I know. But w/ her support I know I can make it.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 07:34:10 AM »
Haha, I should put a disclaimer.  The guy in my avatar is one of my good friends who, actually, can be a total a-hole.  As attractive as this guy is, he can't get dates or keep a girl around b/c he's just a jackass.

Both the bride and groom's family at the wedding we were at thought we were dating though, and said we made a great couple.  So it just figured when I caught the bouquet and he caught the garter.  :P :D

But if I do say so myself, I think my actual bf is "a fine young man," even if he has gone bald at a young age.  ;)

Well Jacy - that looks like a fine young man standing next to you in your avatar. You best make an honest man out of that boy and marry him straight away!

But seriously, I am VERY fortunate to have a loving and supportive wife willing to put up with such a humongous change. I tell her every day "You know hun, I really couldn't have made a better selection than you". If it weren't for her I wouldn't risk going up to Michigan alone w/ no support - i'd stay here in texas w/ everything I know. But w/ her support I know I can make it.