Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: You people are making me depressed....  (Read 2250 times)

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
You people are making me depressed....
« on: November 30, 2004, 05:18:07 PM »
I'm waiting on the LSAT (retake) this Saturday to even begin sending out my applications now, and I'm already seeing rejections roll in for numbers higher than mine.  I know I shouldn't psych myself out this early in the game, but it's really making me re-consider the schools that I'm applying to.

I guess the EA people tend to have higher numbers, but it would be really nice to see someone with "average" numbers (i.e. 3.0-3.5 GPA, LSAT in the 150's) getting into good schools.  That would give me more hope that adcoms really look beyond the numbers.

Anyone else feel this way?
Fed gov't atty

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: You people are making me depressed....
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 05:23:40 PM »
DREAM ON MAN.. TIER ONE WITH A 3.0-3.5 AND A 150S IS A LONG SHOT.. UNLESS, OF COURSE, YOU APPLY TO BERKLEY (HAD TO SAY THAT ABOUT BERKLEY BECAUSE OF SOME FOLKS ON THIS BOARD, NOT SURE I REALLY BELIEVE IT)..  GET DAT LSAT TO THE 160 LEVEL AT LEAST..
ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL

murkydreamer

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 05:33:40 PM »
Linquest, don't psych yourself out.  Just concentrate on doing well on the LSAT on Saturday...plus, now that you've already taken it before, you should be an old pro at it  ;).

I have very borderline numbers for a lot of the schools that I'm applying to (for example, my GPA falls in your "average" range) and I applied to a bunch of places EA.  I haven't gotten in anywhere, but I havne't gotten dinged either...so there's still hope.  My numbers are low for a lot of places I applied to, but I applied anyway because I'd like to believe that there's more to me than what I happened to score on a test one (ok, 2) particular Saturday morning. 

If you need to, take a break from LSD/LSN until after the test.  Just focus on doing well and good luck! 

imtheantelope

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 05:40:08 PM »
hey, you can get a high 150 score (158-159) and be considered at Villanova or Temple, which are largely considered T1. I have 3.3/159 and applied to both.  I couldnt imagine taking the test again this saturday, best of luck.
Accepted: Suffolk, Albany$, New York Law$, Hofstra$, Touro$
Waitlisted:  Brooklyn, Northeastern, Villanova, American
Denied: Fordham, Temple
ATTENDING: ST JOHNS

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=imtheantelope

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 06:07:35 PM »
DREAM ON MAN.. TIER ONE WITH A 3.0-3.5 AND A 150S IS A LONG SHOT.. UNLESS, OF COURSE, YOU APPLY TO BERKLEY (HAD TO SAY THAT ABOUT BERKLEY BECAUSE OF SOME FOLKS ON THIS BOARD, NOT SURE I REALLY BELIEVE IT).. GET DAT LSAT TO THE 160 LEVEL AT LEAST..

Woman, actually...

3 of the T1 schools that I'm applying to have 25-75% numbers in the ranges that I mentioned, as high-ranked as in the 20's.  Of course, you can never predict what ranges they're aiming for in the current year, but as long as there's a shot....

What's up with the all-caps in all of your posts?
Fed gov't atty

bradzwest

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 07:06:33 PM »
I've got a bum Lsat 154... Feel your pain, but no way I'll take it again.  I started dialogues with T2s and T3s months before the app cycle.  Still waiting on my top choices.  I still think it is pretty exciting seeing all the early admits from all of these sharp people, helps me learn the process and think of more questions!  Good luck on the test!

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 08:04:15 PM »
Good school does not necessarily mean top 14. Don't let rankings be the primary reason for your school choice. Choose the school that's best for you. Good luck on the LSATs on Saturday. I'm sure you'll do fine and get into some schools you really like.

If it makes you feel any better, I have average numbers and have not been rejected . . . YET.  ;)

Hertzy42

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 12:45:41 AM »
these forums are killer in terms of self-worth. everyone else gets in and has great numbers but me it seems.

A_guy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 12:58:34 AM »
guys and girls,  u need to take this site with a grain of salt.  don't let it get u down.  if all these people are getting into these schools thats great but how do u really know they are.  anyone can post an "i got accepted to (insert T1 school here)" post.  none of that really matters.  u should concentrate on ur tests and apps.  use this site as an information tool by sifting through all the egos, self praise, and sometime pure BS.  if u really want to study law and have the passion for it, then not getting into a tier 1 school will not stop you.  being a good lawyer is not only about what school u graduated from.  it is about how hard u work and ur desire to be successful.  sure that tier 1 school will open doors, but there is nothing that says u can't open doors if u go to a lower ranked school.  also, the lower tier schools have amazing alumni networks.  former students who have experienced the elitism based on name know how hard it is and are more than willing to help people from thier alma mater.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 01:14:43 AM »
also, the lower tier schools have amazing alumni networks.  former students who have experienced the elitism based on name know how hard it is and are more than willing to help people from thier alma mater.

I never thought of it that way..

Thanks for the uplifting thought!
Fed gov't atty