Law School Discussion

Is it worth it to transfer to the better Undergrad/lose a year?

Is it worth it to transfer to the better Undergrad/lose a year?
« on: November 30, 2004, 01:25:53 PM »
Hi, I was just recently accepted into Boston University as an Undergrad transfer, and I was wondering if you guys think it is worth it for me to transfer considering I go to a lot worse school? BU has a lot of prestige obviously, but my current school is only regional at best. If I did transfer, I would end up losing an extra year because I am a Junior already (Sophomore by age though), but I am still interested for pride purposes etc. My major here at my current school is Psych., but at BU it will be something like liberal arts, so I need to get an advanced degree anyway. I just think it would be cool to say I go to Boston University...

In terms of law schools, I am still thinking of whether or not I will even apply. I am about 60% sure I want to apply to law school and 40% says I should get an MBA.

So anyway, do you guys think it is worth it to transfer and lose a year in the process for pretty much pride purposes, or I am being just too egotistical?

Re: Is it worth it to transfer to the better Undergrad/lose a year?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 05:52:37 PM »
Any advice?

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 05:55:27 PM »
What school do you go to now?

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 08:36:22 PM »
I go to Portland.

Gummo

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 08:54:27 PM »
Big no.  The only way undergrad has any impact in admissions is when it's HYP or slightly lower...even then, the effect is arguably negligible.  BU's great, but it ain't HYP.  Unless you have some other reason to go there and lose a year, I'd say a transfer isn't warranted...

Troy McClure

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 09:09:45 PM »
Big no.  The only way undergrad has any impact in admissions is when it's HYP or slightly lower...even then, the effect is arguably negligible.  BU's great, but it ain't HYP.  Unless you have some other reason to go there and lose a year, I'd say a transfer isn't warranted...
That's exactly right.  Unless you're transfering to MIT or Harvard, you'd be much better off graduating on time and spending a year in the workforce.  Really, there's no such thing as a better undergrad school.  They're all pretty much the same.  The only time your school matters is if you're interviewing with an alum.

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 09:26:32 PM »
Well, like I said, I'm not even sure whether I will be going to law school or my MBA, but for the time being, I figured it would be better to go to the better Undergrad school for pride purposes. Am I wrong here? Should I just forget the whole thing since you are saying Undergrad schools are insignificant etc?

I trust you guys know what you are talking about. It's funny how when I ask an ordinary person about this, they automatically say yes - like I would be a complete dumbass to pass up a great name on my diploma for an average university like mine.

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 09:33:18 PM »
Don't transfer. Work for that year instead. Going to a highly ranked school doesn't really pay off anyway and I have a feeling you'll really regret losing that year. Unless is HYSP, it doesn't matter for jobs OR grad school (as long as your school isn't known for selling degrees online).  ;) My UG is ranked 26 but no one's heard of it. I could have gone to a state school, had no debt and been better off.

helendemilo

• My name is M, I'm a lesser-known character.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 10:27:14 PM »
I'm going to go against the conventional wisdom here.  If you're a sophomore by age, that means you're, what, 19 or 20?  What's one year at 19?  Nothing!

Which school would you rather go to?  If it costs more, is it worth the extra money *to you*?  Which school would you rather live at, study at, make friends at, do research at, etc.?

Don't count on going to a graduate program.  Think about what is the best choice for you now.  If you would rather go to BU, go!  It's really about what makes you happy. 

Like I said, one year is nothing compared to the rest of your life.  Do what's more worth your while.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 11:45:30 PM »
I will actually be cheaper for me to go to BU, but I am not reconsidering it since you guys are telling me it doesn't matter at all what college someone goes to unless its HYP. That just makes me wonder why anyone would work hard in high school, when they could just get average grades and get into cheap state schools and ultimately end up the same as those who went on to great colleges and payed the massive tutions. Is this a general concensus around here that going to a really good Undergrad doesn't make a difference at all for anything?

ScurvyWench, what do you mean by "as long as your school isn't known for selling degrees online"? I personally don't see a problem with online programs as long as they are from solid Universities and not just some Phoenix online kind of thing...