• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Duke
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2004, 03:04:22 PM »
thanks for the info re no EA rejections.

i did make that same point re timeline briefly with AMB, that he applied early and/or was a strong applicant.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

AMB22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2004, 03:05:05 PM »
I checked on LSAC...unless I read them wrong this is what I recorded for # of matriculants.

Gtown: 451
Mich: 406
Penn: 261
Duke: 202
Chicago: 194

Are these correct?

the thing that's tough about both chicago and penn is their small class size, about 200 each.  i don't remember duke's, but michigan is larger (than penn), gtown is huge.  i'm thinking if duke, then gtown.  but not necessarily michigan, just based on duke.

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2004, 03:06:44 PM »
It's kind of funny, because I seriously doubt that anyone on this board who has been accepted to any of Duke, Michigan or GULC (with the exception of some of the GULC PT folk) is going to end up there.

Two things: I didn't get into Duke's EA program, because I didn't take the LSAT until October (you have to take the LSAT by June to be considered early, according to their website). And yet, I got the email with everybody else, so that's another data point. And I'm hardly an auto-admit by Duke's standards.

Secondly, my chances of ending up at Duke are pretty good. The only thing likely to jar that is financial aid from farther down my list (Georgetown, GWU, etc.) or an accepntance of a school similarly ranked on my list (Boalt, UCLA) or-- in an insane hypothetical alternate universe-- a HYS accept. On the balance, Duke is probably a 50-50 proposition, assuming Boalt rejects me.
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

adverseeffect

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2004, 03:08:07 PM »
It's kind of funny, because I seriously doubt that anyone on this board who has been accepted to any of Duke, Michigan or GULC (with the exception of some of the GULC PT folk) is going to end up there.

i think regardless of other schools (esp since i'm not competitive at h,s,c,nyu), there is a 90% chance i will go to michigan.  feel free to quote me in five months if i am wrong!  ;)

Lulu

« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2004, 03:10:25 PM »
I got my GULC and Michigan letters pretty quickly (GULC on 11/11 and Mich on 11/20) but I didn't hear anything from Duke. I don't want to bother them with a question about my EA stuff so I figured I'd bother you guys instead:

all of my stuff was in really early. My LSDAS report was sent on 9/15. BUT my financial aid stuff wasn't all in until my dad finished his portion, which was fedexed overnight right before the 11/1 deadline, and according to the fedex website,didn't actually make it until 11/2.

Pookie, I saw that your file was complete on 11/11; is that when you emailed them to ask if you were EA complete? I never did that, so now I can't figure out if 1) I just didn't get lucky this time or if 2) i didn't qualify for EA because of my financial aid stuff being one day late (stupid fedex. Should sue them. THe thing was overnighted on 10/30!)

Thoughts?

PsychJK

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2004, 03:17:01 PM »
Duke's website encourages students to monitor their application status via email - i don't think there is anything wrong with emailing them to check status (I wouldn't consider doing so for a school that explicitly stated NOT to do this, but Duke is the exception here - check their admissions page)
Accepted: GULC, Duke, USC, NYU, UPenn, UVA, UMich, Cornell, Notre Dame, Vandy, UChicago
Pending:Columbia
Deferred: HLS

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=PsychJK

Bamaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2004, 03:17:29 PM »
I got my GULC and Michigan letters pretty quickly (GULC on 11/11 and Mich on 11/20) but I didn't hear anything from Duke. I don't want to bother them with a question about my EA stuff so I figured I'd bother you guys instead:

all of my stuff was in really early. My LSDAS report was sent on 9/15. BUT my financial aid stuff wasn't all in until my dad finished his portion, which was fedexed overnight right before the 11/1 deadline, and according to the fedex website,didn't actually make it until 11/2.

Pookie, I saw that your file was complete on 11/11; is that when you emailed them to ask if you were EA complete? I never did that, so now I can't figure out if 1) I just didn't get lucky this time or if 2) i didn't qualify for EA because of my financial aid stuff being one day late (stupid fedex. Should sue them. THe thing was overnighted on 10/30!)

Thoughts?

I don't think financial aid information has anything to with whether your application is complete or not.

PsychJK

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2004, 03:20:57 PM »
Duke's website also states that apps are not considered complete until the financial aid portion of their app is received - though i sent my financial aid info in nearly a month after my application (mailed it 11/8), and they told me my decision has been mailed
Accepted: GULC, Duke, USC, NYU, UPenn, UVA, UMich, Cornell, Notre Dame, Vandy, UChicago
Pending:Columbia
Deferred: HLS

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=PsychJK

Lulu

« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2004, 03:23:34 PM »
Ok Jen, I will email them, thank you. That is what I had read on the website about the financial aid application as well.

Bamaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2004, 03:31:52 PM »
Duke's website also states that apps are not considered complete until the financial aid portion of their app is received - though i sent my financial aid info in nearly a month after my application (mailed it 11/8), and they told me my decision has been mailed

I think they have to allow some time for people who apply online to print out the form and send them in by mail.  At least you could always use this argument.