Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Testing adcomms at TTT schools  (Read 930 times)

kristay

Testing adcomms at TTT schools
« on: November 30, 2004, 02:35:06 AM »
Here's a convo w/a fellow LSDer:

Kristay: i don't know how people can write so much on so little
Kristay: One professor I had wrote her dissertation on something ridiculous like "this" or "that"...I don't remember which word it was
Kristay: but i was like...you did what?
Kristay: are you insane?
Kristay: which is why i'm not getting a phd
Kristay: i would never make it
Matokah: i know!  i read one of those dissertations and it's totally a commentary on why the biblical author chose a certain vowel system over another on one fricking verb or something insane like that.

I originally wanted to go for my phd in near eastern studies or archaeology, but I KNOW I can't write 100+ pages on one single topic.
Kristay: same here!
Kristay: can i use that in my PS?
Kristay: "I would like to pursue a career in law because I am incapable getting a PhD and becoming a college professor"
Matokah: use what? "too lazy to go for phd; thus, hello to the J.D."? ;-)
Kristay: yup
Kristay: lol
Matokah: LMAO.  Do it for a safety school and see if you get in anyway (like Cooley ;-))
Kristay: maybe i'll do it for ave maria since they gave me a fee waiver
Matokah: or Golden Gate.  Write just a horrible PS about how you'd rather get your PhD but see if you get in anyway with your LSAT score ;-)
Kristay: LOL
Kristay: that would be an interesting test
Matokah: tell them you think Jesus doesn't exist and that abortion should be required for stupid people.  auto-admit ;-)
Kristay: HAHAHA
Kristay: LOL!!!
Matokah: I seriously wonder what they'd do with an applicant who has strong numbers but who writes a PS on a politically liberal topic (a Christian law school, I mean. . .like Regent)
Kristay: i don't know, but i'd like to find out!
Kristay: I like to think it's a diversity factor, but I'd be willing to bet there's a ding waiting for anyone who does that.
Kristay: Schools like Regent, IMO, don't want diversity, they want conformity to "societal and moral norms".

So...what do you think would happen?  Will Cooley or Ave Maria or some other TTT accept me based on an LSAT score even if I tell them "I don't really want to go to law school, I'm just doing it b/c I can't write a dissertation?"

P.S. These are not our screen names so if you try IMing "Matokah" or "Kristay" it's either a) not going to work or b) you will not be talking to LSDer Matokah or LSDer Kristay
P.P.S. DISCLAIMER: I do have real reasons for wanting to go to law school and the whole "What I really want to do is become a college professor" should not be taken seriously (b/c I anticipate a lot of "You shouldn't go to law school, then" responses from people)

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
Re: Testing adcomms at TTT schools
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 09:29:23 AM »
Heh. I had a similar, but less politically charged idea a while back. Go in with strong numbers (by that school's standards) and a PS such as:

"Eye wont two bee aye loy err. Eye ahm veer e dievurse...."
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

lazybum

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 11:53:15 AM »
Depending on how strongly it was worded... as in, you really made an effort to sound bad... I think you'd get a ding.  :)  I could be wrong though.

By the way, I was really wondering where this whole thing was going when reading that conversation above... I kept reading merely because I couldn't figure out where the copied conversation was going.

Anyway, very amusing.

operatke

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Testing adcomms at third tier toilet schools
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 12:02:41 PM »
 :D :D :D :D

That was hilarious...might do that myself.  And what is the deal with Ave Maria?  I have not even talked to them and I got a scholarship offer from them yesterday.  They must be hurtin' for numbers cause mine are not stellar.

kristay

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 08:07:57 PM »
Ave Maria's not fully accredited yet, so...

Yeah, I basically got promised a scholarship from them as well, but I'm really not interested (esp. BECAUSE they're not fully acredited).

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 10:13:28 PM »
Yeah, that and they're uberChristian which kind of scares me (I am not secure enough with my own religion to deal with someone else's).

It doesn't have to be politically-charged, though.  You could just go with the "I'd rather get a phd, but I'm too lazy." or the "I don't know what I want to do with my life so I thought I'd delay it for another 3 years" approach ;)
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

kristay

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 11:21:17 PM »
I am Catholic and am fine going to a Catholic/Jesuit school (read: Georgetown!!!, Seton Hall, CUA...) but I don't think I would deal well with a school that was ultra conservative, ultra catholic, or ultra religious in any way (I'm also applying to Cardozo and Temple lest anyone think I'm only aplying to Catholic schools).

Matokah, I am soooo tempted to do the whole "I'm lazy and don't feel like getting phd.  Besides that, I don't know what I would do with a phd and am thus going to law school even though I don't really know if I want to be a lawyer."  Think I could still get in on numbers alone? :P

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 12:01:38 AM »
I totally think you could.

Want me to send you my Golden Gate fee waiver via snail mail? ;)

Then again, if law school adcomms talk to each other, that might not bode well for schools you actually want to get into.

&&what denomination is Temple?  I always think of them as Jewish just because of their name *g*  Are they some sort of Protestant?
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

kristay

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 12:58:04 AM »
Yeah, that's the only thing stopping me from actually doing it!  I don't want ad comms talking to each other and being like, "Wow, this girl has no direction in her life and doesn't even want to be a lawyer."

Temple is Jewish affiliated.

Oh, and Matokah, I am so sorry that my computer is such a TTT!  Argh...I definitely need a new one before law school!

EDIT: Sorry!  I assumed Temple was Jewish affiliated b/c when I told one of my friends I was applying there he said, "But you're not Jewish."  Sorry!

vmersich

Re: Testing adcomms at third tier toilet schools
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 09:56:05 AM »
In case anyone disagrees, I second the comment regarding temple.  It is a public school.  I know and remember this well, as I would come home from break freshman year with everyone saying "I didn't know you were jewish!"

Sidenote:  I found out recently that I technically am Jewish.