Law School Discussion

Speeding ticket and Character and Fitness Section of App

Re: Speeding ticket and Character and Fitness Section of App
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2005, 12:39:59 PM »
It's a moving violation and they say disclose moving violations, so yes, disclose it.  You only need to do a 1-2 sentence addendum.

The LS won't care about a single speeding ticket.  You're fine.

General rule: disclose the information they ask for.  No more, no less.

What about 3 speeding tickets?  I have 3- From Dec 2002, Sept 2003, and Jan 2005... in 3 different states.  Is that going to look bad? ???

Disclose them if the application calls for disclosure.  Many don't; they specifically exclude "traffic violations" or only ask for "felonies and/or misdemeanors."

If the app doesn't ask, don't disclose.  If they wanted to know about traffic violations, they knew how to ask.

Will it hurt if you disclose?  Only an adcomm person could say for sure.  Personally, I would treat 3 speeding tickets over the course of 2+ years as a total non-issue.

Why would a law school care. Jesus, i have tickets from 1984. Are they going to care about that? They can go f*ck themselves. I'll tell them that i haven't had a ticket in the last three years and that should be enough.

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2005, 01:13:17 PM »
It's a moving violation and they say disclose moving violations, so yes, disclose it.  You only need to do a 1-2 sentence addendum.

What about 3 speeding tickets?  I have 3- From Dec 2002, Sept 2003, and Jan 2005... in 3 different states.  Is that going to look bad? ???

Disclose them if the application calls for disclosure.  Many don't; they specifically exclude "traffic violations" or only ask for "felonies and/or misdemeanors."

If the app doesn't ask, don't disclose.  If they wanted to know about traffic violations, they knew how to ask.

Will it hurt if you disclose?  Only an adcomm person could say for sure.  Personally, I would treat 3 speeding tickets over the course of 2+ years as a total non-issue.

Why would a law school care. Jesus, i have tickets from 1984. Are they going to care about that? They can go f*ck themselves. I'll tell them that i haven't had a ticket in the last three years and that should be enough.

just disclose it. it doesnt matter for admissions. if you dont know the precise details just give the month and year of the offense with approximate fine. I had 3 traffic tickets in the last three years and it hasnt hurt me at all. not disclosing it could become a problem when you have the character and fitness portion of the bar

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2005, 01:19:52 PM »

just disclose it. it doesnt matter for admissions. if you dont know the precise details just give the month and year of the offense with approximate fine. I had 3 traffic tickets in the last three years and it hasnt hurt me at all. not disclosing it could become a problem when you have the character and fitness portion of the bar

yes, you're right of course, assuming i can even remember when. I've had maybe 3 tickets over the last 20 years. So what? They were all speeding tickets, maybe 10-15 miles over the limit. I'll just put that if they even ask. Any school that would care to ask i'm not sure i would want to attend.

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2005, 02:20:33 PM »
Chill, MasterK ... a lot of schools specifically state that you needn't bother with traffic violations.  E.g. Harv, Duke, Northwestern.  The OP is faced with an odd application, thasall.

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2005, 02:50:52 PM »
At one of my schools, I had to disclose traffic tickets AND whether or not I'd had my drivers license suspended.  I reported one speeding ticket, one "failure to follow signal" and my suspension for failing to appear in traffic court...all within the last two years before applying

Still got admitted with a scholarship for about half-tuition.

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2005, 11:08:43 AM »
if you had a juvenile record of sort sort that was sealed, do you have to tell them? could the school or the bar ever find out about something that was sealed?

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2005, 11:44:40 AM »
if you had a juvenile record of sort sort that was sealed, do you have to tell them? could the school or the bar ever find out about something that was sealed?

The fact that it was sealed means nothing.  If the question calls for disclosure, you have to disclose.  The fact that there may be sealed records they can't find is precisely why they are asking.  Some apps even say "you must include matters that have been sealed or expunged."  I wouldn't recommend withholding information in reliance on the sealing as a guarantee of secrecy.

But, the fact that it is a juvenile record can be very important.  Again, look at the PRECISE LANGUAGE of the application.  Many ask if you've ever been "convicted of a crime."  Under the laws of many states, juvenile offenses are not considered "crimes."  See for example sec. 380.1 of the New York Family Court Act.

Good luck.

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2005, 01:29:24 PM »
List all moving tickets (violations).   Actually, be sure to dig all this information up because you will definitely need it for your moral character application for most state bars.  For example, both CA and NV require any violations (including minor one) for the past 10 years.   This included a car pool violation of mine years ago.  If you don't know specifics, estimate.  I think those questions are more for integrity than to accept/reject you.  Another suggestion is keep track and record every where you have lived the past 10 years or since age 18 if you are a younger applicant.  I moved 13 times from high school through my third year as an attorney.  Its a pain in the ass to reconstruct this info.  Also, keep track of all employers, you'll also have to list for the past 10 years.   Better to start now.