Law School Discussion

Speeding ticket and Character and Fitness Section of App

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: Speeding ticket and Character and Fitness Section of App
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 05:06:44 AM »
Parking tickets no (unless you have 100s unpaid and they've started to actually search for you to get their money).

Speeding tickets and other moving violations, yes.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 05:20:10 AM »
Most apps don't, but there are a few that do.  I had to do the same for Wake Forest, if it makes you feel any better.

Luckily, my speeding ticket was my first one, so although I paid a fine, it went on my record as a nonmoving violation, since I actually went down to court and pled not guilty.  Still cost me a phone call to the city it happened in though.

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2004, 07:44:23 AM »
Get a drivers record "abstract" from your DMV.  That should have all the details of your tickets/infractions.

newy

• HLS 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2004, 07:53:49 AM »
what school is that question from?
I think I totally ignored a question like that. I got a couple of tickets when I was 16, but after calling the florida DMV I was told they only keep records for seven years.
It will have been ten years before I am taking a bar exam.
Muahahahahah...... :P

You can only hope that this post won't still be around to incriminate you.  (the Bar will be able to easily identify you from the photo in your avatar)  8)

GO_PTO

• my children... I have returned for law school!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2004, 12:53:13 PM »
what school is that question from?
I think I totally ignored a question like that. I got a couple of tickets when I was 16, but after calling the florida DMV I was told they only keep records for seven years.
It will have been ten years before I am taking a bar exam.
Muahahahahah...... :P

You can only hope that this post won't still be around to incriminate you. (the Bar will be able to easily identify you from the photo in your avatar) 8)

hey if I can part a sea....

lo_

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2005, 10:18:50 PM »
I had like 11 traffic tickets ,, lol

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2005, 10:37:11 PM »
For what its worth, I included an addendum for my 2 "moving violations" (speeding and failing to yield to a pedestrian) for two applications, W&L and (I think) UMinn.  I got into both with borderline numbers, so I don't think it hurt me.  In fact, as long as you "say the right things" and do it eloquently, I think it might help you show character. 

Does a speeding "ticket" (84 mph in a 65 mph zone) count in the following question? Common sense says, "yes," but on the other hand, "moving traffic 'violation'" sounds like something much worse... Please help, my app asks,

"As either an adult or juvenile, have you ever been arrested for, convicted of, or pled guilty to the violation of any law or ordinance, or the commission of any felony or misdemeanor, including all moving traffic violations? As used herein, a conviction includes a plea of guilty or nolo contendere (no contest) or a verdict of finding of guilt, regardless of whether a sentence was imposed by a court."

I guess it just didn't seem that serious when it happened.
Are you all disclosing speeding tickets? Is that what this section means? Thanks.

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2005, 06:26:27 AM »
It's a moving violation and they say disclose moving violations, so yes, disclose it.  You only need to do a 1-2 sentence addendum.

The LS won't care about a single speeding ticket.  You're fine.

General rule: disclose the information they ask for.  No more, no less.

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2005, 10:39:01 AM »
It's a moving violation and they say disclose moving violations, so yes, disclose it.  You only need to do a 1-2 sentence addendum.

What about 3 speeding tickets?  I have 3- From Dec 2002, Sept 2003, and Jan 2005... in 3 different states.  Is that going to look bad? ???

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2005, 12:33:35 PM »

What about 3 speeding tickets?  I have 3- From Dec 2002, Sept 2003, and Jan 2005... in 3 different states.  Is that going to look bad? ???

Disclose them if the application calls for disclosure.  Many don't; they specifically exclude "traffic violations" or only ask for "felonies and/or misdemeanors."

If the app doesn't ask, don't disclose.  If they wanted to know about traffic violations, they knew how to ask.

Will it hurt if you disclose?  Only an adcomm person could say for sure.  Personally, I would treat 3 speeding tickets over the course of 2+ years as a total non-issue.