Law School Discussion

"Diversity" Essays

"Diversity" Essays
« on: November 29, 2004, 01:45:26 PM »
So, as a middle-class white female, I don't so much add to the diversity to a law school class in the common sense.  The little bit of diversity that I do have (foreign-born) is mentioned in my personal statement.  Is it necessary to write the optional "how do you add to the diversity of a law school" essay, or will my personal statement suffice?
If I don't write it, will law schools look at it like I don't care enough to apply to their school or will they be glad that I didn't bore them with another page of meaningless writing?
Thanks much

liberty shark

• awesome.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - libertyshark
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: "Diversity" Essays
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 03:26:15 PM »
the diversity statements never really ask for applicants to explain cultural or ethnic diversity.  they just want to hear about interesting experiences, or your particular point of view.  i wrote about how my extensive travel experience aided in my perception of international treaties.

nika22

• View Profile
Re: "Diversity" Essays
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 06:26:17 PM »
one of best essays i've read, apart from my own (jokes!) was my cousin's, who was the 'average white male' engineering major- he wrote about being a republican at a traditionally liberal school (used it as his diversity essay for some schools, main essay for others)

if you could show ingenuity, despite being the given racial majority, i think it would work towards your advantage

oh, and my cousin got into yale, traditionally liberal school