Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Undergrad Loans to Law School (what do I need to do to defer payment?)  (Read 1124 times)

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Hi all!
I'm currently an undergrad with a large amount of educational loans (some private, most are federal).  What do I need to do to defer payment?  Since I will be going to law school this coming fall, I'll still be a student.  My question is, do I have to contact my lenders (both private and federal)?  Or will my schools do that for me?

Thanks!
I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
You have to fill out a deferment request, have it authorized by your LS and send it to your loan company. If you have federal loans, this is really easy since everything is online. If you don't have an online account already, go open one up:

http://www.dlssonline.com/
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Thanks!

Where do I get these "deferment requests"?  From the LS or from my private lender?
I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
You can probably pick one up at your school but they are online at the link I gave you (you have to have a login/pin first). That is all federal direct loans though. I don't have any non-federal loans so I can't comment on how to defer those. If you need to do that, give your LS fin aid office a call. I'm sure they will help you out.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
Just something to note since you said you have a lot of loans - there is a limit on the amount of federal loans you can get.  Just something to keep in mind (I think it is about 125k or something around there although I am not sure...)

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
thanks.  I don't have that MUCH loans just yet.  But I will be very VERY close by the time I graduate law school.  :)  I have $33k now, another $18k each year, for the next 3 years.  So, no need to worry just yet. 

Thanks for the warning, schoomp! :)