Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pookie's LSAT advice  (Read 21600 times)

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pookie's LSAT advice
« on: November 28, 2004, 03:15:13 PM »
someone asked me for advice for the december LSAT today, and i started typing out what i feel like i've typed out 20 times before.  i made this one really comprehensive, and then decided to save it in a word document so i'd never have to type it from scratch again.  anyway, thought i'd post it here since it's less than a week before the december LSAT.

my LSAT advice

first, some day before advice: relax, do something fun.  and tiring, so you can fall asleep the night of.  my sister took me out for a day of girl stuff (got manicures/pedicures, went shopping for hours for graduation dresses, etc.)

NOT the day of: take a ziploc bag and put all your materials in it - pencils, erasers, one or two pens, your admission ticket, your ID (drivers license or passport; check your admission ticket for what other forms are acceptable), your timer, extra batteries for your timer, kleenex, your headache medicine of choice (i recommend excedrin tension headache for those headaches caused by stress), some little snacks (like candy bars and tic tacs).  set aside a bottle of water too; my proctors said we could drink water as long as they didn't see us drinking it.  dress in layers so you're prepared for any room temperature.  i wore drawstring pants since it can get uncomfy sitting in jeans for a long period of time.  if you're a girl, take whatever products might be required at that time of the month, along with some midol.

if you're not familiar with the test site, do a practice drive over there the day before.

all this week, get in the habit of waking up at whatever time you need to wake up on saturday, and go to sleep early.  i require 8-9 hours of sleep, so that's how much i slept for about two weeks leading up to the test.  also get in the habit of eating at breakfast, if you don't already.

allow enough time on saturday morning to eat breakfast and get ready and everything without rushing.  i would get to the test center SUPER early (like, an hour early) and sit in the car while you're waiting and do some practice questions (more on this in the next paragraph) and then just relax.

practice questions: i found that when i took a test first thing in the morning, my first section was the worst because i was still warming up my brain.  so then i started doing a page or so of practice LR questions just to warm up, and my score instantly shot up to what it was when i took evening practice tests.  the day of the real test, i took a games section at home before leaving.  games were my best and favorite section, and i did the one from the blind diagnostic.  i got a perfect score, so it pumped up my confidence.  i drove to the test site and did some LR questions in the car, ones that i had already seen but i covered up the answer choice letters and ran through reasoning in my head.

what i wish i had done: one or two reading comp passages.  since i hadn't done reading comp in two days at that point, it would have helped me pace better.  what i suggest: do one or two reading comp passages that you haven't already done, BUT don't look at the correct answers afterwards.  if you get some wrong, you might get frustrated and go in with lower confidence.  and you probably won't learn anything new at that point.  just get your mind back in the 8:45 reading comp track.  if i had done that, i think my score could have been 1 or 2 points higher.  my first section was reading comp, and part of my problem was that i didn't pace myself well and finished just in time, whereas i had usually been finishing with several minutes to spare, which i used to review my answers once more.

when you leave your car to go into the room, leave your materials behind.  your prep is over, you've done all that you can do.  take a deep breath and walk in with confidence.  and kick LSAT ass!

best of luck!!
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

Ameobat

• View Profile
Re: Pookie's LSAT advice
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 03:25:06 PM »
thanks for the advice (: very helpful!!
June 05

matt1882

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 03:36:03 PM »
This is really good advice -- thanks! You mentioned that you did really well on the Games section. It's my worst section, so I'm interested if perhaps you've developed, on your own, any unique and specific  strategies (rather than those found in, e.g., LG Bible or PR) that you might be able to share. My biggest problem is running out of time, so I wonder if you have any advice on that. Thanks!
3.60/176
Accepted: Harvard (matriculating), GULC, NYU, Temple, Penn
Waitlisted: Columbia

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 03:43:26 PM »
please note that i modified my post after someone pointed out that i forgot to put ID on the list of things that belong in your baggie.

i'm the worst person to ask for games advice.  i've done logic games for fun since 3rd grade, so it came really easily to me.  sorry!  browse this sub-board for topics about the games section and see what other people have done to improve on games.  if that doesn't help, start a new topic asking for advice.

good luck!
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 10:32:27 PM »
That is some good advice Pookie!  You are the big boss of this site now??  It's been awhile since I've been on here as you can tell ;)

NYKnicks

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 10:33:32 PM »
pookie, publish a book, or maybe there can be an LSD LSAT tips compilation or something.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 10:38:40 PM »
i don't know about a whole book; i really don't have *that* much good advice, and there are people with higher LSAT scores whose advice would carry more weight.  i'll live out the dreams of being published with my original post here, though.  ;)

dustin, welcome back!  i'm andrew's right-hand-man-of-sorts.  without being a man, of course.  :)  andrew's still the big boss as administrator, but i'm trying to help moderate after we had an influx of trolling activity.

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2004, 11:15:12 PM »
Thanks Pookie!  What do you mean by "an influx of trolling activity"?

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2004, 11:24:11 PM »
a bunch of troll accounts popped up and started posting hateful messages.  check out the hate board.  i've tried to move all of it over there.

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 01:01:24 AM »
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE DAY OF THE TEST
1. Present the Admission Ticket and one current form of acceptable, personal
identification which bears both your signature and current photo. No one will be
admitted without acceptable identification.
2. Report no later than the Reporting Time indicated on your LSAT Admission Ticket.
3. Those registered at a foreign test center should note the exact test date, day, and
reporting time printed on the ticket.
4. The reporting time noted on the ticket is not necessarily the starting time. The
starting time may vary by test center or testing room depending upon the number of
test registrants at an individual test site.
5. No one will be admitted after the test has begun.
6. Pencils will not be supplied. Bring a mechanical pencil with soft lead and a good
eraser, or 3 or 4 sharpened No. 2 pencils with erasers. Test takers at Canadian
centers should bring several H.B.pencils.
7. The admission ticket will be collected at the test center.
8. Be sure to read and sign the ticket before arriving at the test center.
9. Thumbprints are required and will be taken on the day of the test at the test
center.
10. If you have any questions about test procedures, please call LSAC at
215.968.1001. Candidate Service Representatives are available from 8:30 a.m. until
7:00 p.m. (ET) Monday through Friday from September through March, and 8:30
a.m. until 4:45 p.m. (ET) Monday through Friday from April through August.
Our automated Voice Response System is available at all times except 6:00 a.m. to
8:00 a.m. (ET) Sundays.
11. Any problems encountered during the administration must be reported in
writing and received within 9 calendar days after the administration. Send problem
reports to: LSAC, 661 Penn Street, Box 2000-T, Newtown, PA 18940-0995 or fax
215.968.1277. Be aware that the availability of your LSAT score may be delayed
pending the review of your complaint.
12. Do not bring into the testing center prohibited devices which include, but are
not limited to: cellular phones, recording or photographic devices, pagers
headsets/walkmen and/or other electronic devices.
TEST CENTER PROCEDURES
The staff at each test center observes certain common procedures to ensure that
every examinee has equal testing time and that the operation of the center meets
LSAC’s criteria for standardized testing. The success of the administration depends
on your cooperation with these procedures.
-Do not telephone test center supervisors in advance. They have neither the
authority nor the information necessary to admit anyone until the day and time of
the test.
-Under no circumstances will supervisors allow a change in schedule.
-The supervisor will tell you when to start and stop work on each separately
timed section. When time is called you MUST put down your pencil.
-If you find it necessary to leave the room during the rest period or during the test,
you must obtain permission from the supervisor. You will not be permitted to make
up any time.
-Smoking is not permitted in the testing room unless a separate testing room for
smokers is made available.
-Dress in a manner that enables you to adapt to any room temperature.
-Eating and drinking are not permitted in the testing room. A break, usually 10 - 15
minutes, is given after Section 3.
-Visitors are not permitted, though LSAC authorized observers may be present.
-Only a No. 2 or H.B. pencil can be used to record answers on the answer sheet.
-All answers must be recorded on the answer sheet. Answers must be recorded only
during the authorized 35-minute time limit for each separately timed test section.
Answers recorded in the test book will not be scored.
-Only a No 2 or H.B. pencil or highlighter pen may be used to underline passages in
the test book. Ink or ballpoint pens are not permitted.
-Due to pre- and post-test administration activities, the overall length of the test is
long – up to 7 hours. The actual starting time of the test may vary at different
centers due to preadministration procedures.
-You may take a noiseless watch (without a beeper or alarm) to the test center.
However, the official time is kept by the test center supervisor.
-Scratch paper will be provided for the writing sample portion of the test only.
Scratch paper is not allowed for any other portion of the test. Computations or notes
are permitted in the test book.
-If you engage in any misconduct or irregularity during the test – such as creating a
disturbance; giving or receiving help; working on or reading the test during a time
not authorized by the supervisor, removing test materials or notes from the testing
room; taking part in an act of impersonation or other forms of cheating; failing to
follow the directions of test center staff; or using books, calculators, personal digital
assistants (PDAs), ear plugs, head sets, rulers, listening devices, paging devices
(beepers), cellular phones, recording or photographic devices, papers of any kind, or
other aids – you may be dismissed from the test center and/or may be subjected to
an investigation under the Law School Admission Council Rules Governing
Misconduct and Irregularities in the Admission Process.
-The LSAT is confidential. All test materials, including test books and answer
sheets, are the property of the Law School Admission Council and must be returned
to the test center supervisor at the conclusion of the test for return to LSAC after
every administration.
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.