Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pookie's LSAT advice  (Read 21358 times)

GULCbound

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Pookie's LSAT advice
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2004, 11:17:48 AM »
I did a game the day of the test... my powerscore teacher told me to do that, as sort of a warmup... I think it was helpful. But just one game... and an easier one, to give yourself confidence, like sequencing.
LSAT: 171 / UGPA: 3.43

Accepted: Georgetown ED, Northwestern, Boston College
Denied: None
Applied but Withdrew: BU, Duke, UPenn, UVA, American, GW

jaxon

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2004, 11:27:46 AM »
why GULC over Penn, UVA, and NW?  I am just interested in your reasoning.  not saying it is wrong decision.

GULCbound

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2004, 01:57:14 PM »
Well for starters I was not sure what my chances were at the T14's, and since I liked Georgetown the best after visiting and sitting in on classes and from feedback from first year associates at my firm who went there, I figured it was worth going binding and improving my shot at admissions.

I also like that it is BIG, I went to a small undergrad school and was not a fan of everyone knowing me and knowing my business. Also, being in D.C. is a huge factor for me since my long term boyfriend just got a job there (Mr. Zeeebra is actually a Miss).

jaxon

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2004, 02:56:12 PM »
ah, so nothing substantive like say "georgetown is a better school then every other T14 outside the top 6?"  ;D

GULCbound

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2004, 03:42:40 PM »
I am trying not to offend anyone, but yea, basically I believe Georgetown is a better school  ;D... for those others in the top 6-14 and I visited them all, sat in on classes, know people who go there, the whole shebang...I do think Georgetown is the best of that lot...

So Bartha, you are definitely going there too? If so, we're classmates!

jaxon

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2004, 04:23:59 PM »
I am trying not to offend anyone, but yea, basically I believe Georgetown is a better school  ;D... for those others in the top 6-14 and I visited them all, sat in on classes, know people who go there, the whole shebang...I do think Georgetown is the best of that lot...

So Bartha, you are definitely going there too? If so, we're classmates!

yep... im going, but i will be in the evening division.

writter

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2004, 05:29:16 PM »
my advice for the LSAT: get a 160, preferably a 170.  Get a 180 if you can.

jaxon

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2004, 09:45:41 PM »
profound

my advice for the LSAT: get a 160, preferably a 170.  Get a 180 if you can.

Question Lady

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2005, 01:21:28 PM »
BUMP for all the February takers this Saturday!

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2005, 01:43:15 PM »
Just wanted to give some advice, from someone who's written twice -- had a horrible day of the first time, and a good one the second time.

First off, if anyone has trouble sleeping and anxiety issues, speak to a doctor. They can help you (I took a muscle relaxer the night before the test). Don't just decide to take sleeping pills on your own, but do speak to a doctor if you think it will be a serious issue. I got two hours sleep before my first writing, and it showed. Second time I had a great sleep and got 170.

Morning of, I strongly recommend a few things:

1.) Get exercise. I had to write out of town, but if I'd been local I would have gone to the gym before writing. Instead, I went for a two mile run and did 100 pushups and situps before showering and having breakfast. It's really important.

2.) Take a 'mini lsat'. What I did was one game, one RC passage and 7 LR questions. I also cherry picked them, choosing a game that was straight forward and easy, an RC passage about something I enjoy and LR questions from the start of the test. Not only did it help me get my mind working, but it also gave me a lot of confidence going into the test having just written about 1/4 of an LSAT without getting a question wrong.

3.) Have a nutritious breakfast. This is critical. Don't just pop in at McDs or something. Have some eggs, OJ, something healthy.

4.) Listen to music rather than talking to people. You need to realize that the vast majority of people writing with you are going to do worse than you. Talking to them will just frazzle your nerves. Grab a CD that either inspires you or calms you down and listen to it before the test and at break. Do not talk to anyone.

Besides that, Pookie's advice is solid, if a little over-anxious. I would strongly recommend writing practice tests at 9am Wednesday-Friday. Getting used to think at that time is important.

Basides that, good luck to all.